Friday, January 11, 2008

Dr E, AFP and HIV

I had the dreaded appointment with Dr E yesterday, and it wasn't nearly as bad as the first time around. My blood pressure wasn't too high (not sure I mentioned that I was posting some pretty high numbers in previous appointments, and for someone who tends to have systolic readings under 100, having over 130 was worrisome!), and my hydration was okay. I also had a negative urine test...and...drum roll...GAINED WEIGHT. I gained 6 pounds. Not sure how accurate that is, but I'll take it. Eric was able to make it to this appointment, and I think his presence really helped to make the visit less miserable.

Dr E swooped in, commented that I gained weight, but that I am stilll such a "skinny minny" (argh), and then assessed Linus's heart in about 5 seconds. She put some machine (no doubt Tom Cruise has one), on my belly and instantaneoulsy the heartbeat could be heard. She commented, "That was easy!" I was so happy Eric was there to hear it! He's alive!!

Then, it was off to give blood. I swear, I have never opened my arm to so many phlebotomists. Because my previous clinic has something against sending my records to my new clinic, my last labs still have not found there way to the new clinic. So, I had to get another HIV test. I also signed a consent form to get the AFP test. AFP is a protein secreted by the fetal liver and excreted in the mother's blood. It is generally used for detecting neural tube defects (why you take folic acid), but it can also indicate: abdominal wall defects esophageal and duodenal atresia (abnormal formations), some renal and urinary tract anomalies, turner syndrome, some low birth weight fetuses, and placental complications. A low level of AFP could also indicate Down Syndrome. The levels are not necessarily diagnotic of Down Syndrome, but it can arm you with information of the "potential." Being a planner, I would like to know as much as I can about the health of Linus. We'll see...

Just for fun, here is a picture of a 16 week old fetus. Enjoy!






Gratitudes:


-I am grateful for birthdays! Today is Eric and my birthday. In truth, I almost forgot about it. We should be seeing lots of friends tonight (some even from far away lands like WI), and I am so excited!

1 comment:

  1. Aaaw... I had forgotten how amazing a 16 week old fetus looks - even better with a beating heart! I'll hope and pray that your health and the baby's are good. Dr. E must have failed "Bedside Manners" and needs remedial work...

    Love,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete