Sunday, January 20, 2008

Snow in Georgia!?!?

Although this blog is intended to chronicle a pregnancy, there are times when I deem it necessary to shift the focus to other miracles of nature: SNOW IN GEORGIA. Not just once, but it snowed 2 times this week. Since turning into a southern peach in 2003, I have seen 1 dusting over 5 years. Hailing from MA with 4 years of residence in ME for college, I consider myself well acquainted with snow, but I haven't felt the excitement of seeing flakes as I experienced this past week in many, many years. Despite a pretty consistent flurry throughout the day yesterday, the accumulation was rather pathetic; 1 inch or so? The ground was never completely covered, but it didn't stop a number of kids from taking to the slopes for sledding. Nevertheless, it seems that about 3/4 of the metro Atlanta churches canceled services today, and I bet you that Kroger sold more bread and bottled water than they have in the past.

Some of my girlfriends came over yesterday during the flurry. (Due to some unforeseen developments Friday morning, it has been recommended that I stay at home on "bed rest" for a few days. It's all good, but I prefer not to really go into the details; I truly feel it necessary to focus on all the positive things that are happening, and not obsess about what I hope to be a passing scare. Perhaps Linus is just a risk taker, or at least a practical joker.) Like most people who reside in Atlanta, all 4 of us do not originate from the south and are all familiar with what it is to have a true "winter." I think we all felt a bit of nostalgia for the north; well, perhaps everyone save my friend who was visiting from WI (she moved back home after grad school) and was trying to ESCAPE the winter! There is a large part of my heart that still misses New England.

Eric took some pictures of our deck after a few hours of snowing. Too bad it had already started to melt. The image was taken through our glass and screen doors, which obstructs a really clear view of the snow...but you get the idea.



And now, some shots from week 17. I still don't think I am gaining much weight, but my leg muscles have completely disappeared, and my upper arms are nice and soft now. I think there is some tummy progression, but living with my body every day, it is hard to identify the changes. Once I feel that my weight and eating are in better places (it WILL happen), I am going to start walking regularly. I have finally begun to miss exercising.

Gratitudes:

-I am so grateful for my wonderful sisters-in-law. I truly think that I have hit the jackpot with all 3. I struggle with being far away from them all, but feel that it is imperative for me to encourage our individual relationships despite how chaotic life will be in a matter of months.

-KB, copy-editing commandos (CBC), chocolate milk, Real Simple, 30 Rock and News Radio. You know who you are. You, me, and 10Ten...very soon. :) (If you are lost on this one, don't worry, most of you will be.)

-Trail mix! The newest development, besides my waking up every night, is that it is accompanied by intense hunger pains. They are the kind of hunger pains that ache so deep, you think you might throw up. So, I have a huge bag of trail mix (with added peanut butter M&Ms and chocolate bits!) that I set next to the bed. For the past 3 nights, I have eaten a good 5 or so handfuls of trail mix between the hours of 4-6am. Bless Eric's heart. Worst case scenario...there is always the couch, which if it comes down to, we'll battle over the bed with a rousing game of rocks, paper, scissors.

2 comments:

  1. Yay! Your belly has finally arrived.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was great seeing you AND the belly in person!!! Miss you already!

    ReplyDelete