Tuesday, April 29, 2008

You're all baby!

I heard that phrase 2 times today at my 2, yes 2, appointments: "you're all baby." Given that the baby is around 3 pounds 10 ounces, and the fact that I weighed in at *gulp* 25lbs over my pre-pregnancy weight, I am not "all baby." I know, the increased blood volume, placenta, uterus, amniotic fluid, pizza dough chest, yadda yadda, but it is strange to think that Linus is still so little, and I am so much bigger. And that is all related to this week's concern d'jour--IUGR, intrauterine growth restriction. (I am not sure that French worked there. I only took high school Spanish, and just pretend to know French.) He measured slightly over the 10th percentile and showed to be 30 weeks 5 days at this morning's 32 week u/s, so he is down in weight and charting, but my belly measured "right on," and his heart is strong! I couldn't see much of anything in the u/s pictures, but my newest career for Linus is "diver." He is jack knifed in my belly: both feet are kicking my rightmost ribs, his bum is bumping my left ribs, and his head is so deep in my pelvis, I swear I thought the u/s was going to go from transabdominal to internal as she kept moving the u/s probe down, down, down...

Blood pressure? Still "high," but not increasing. 126/82 today. I don't get it. I think I'll see if I can convince Sour Kraut (a new nickname for my co-worker) to walk with me to CVS every day I am at the office to do the free BP monitoring. I still don't get this seemingly idiopathic BP increase.

Newest complaints (you mean you have MORE you say!?!): sleepless nights. Linus's head may be in a good position in terms of not being a breech baby, but it is also pressing on my bladder 24/7. Multiple trips at night to the bathroom. Sleeping in general is pretty uncomfortable; I honestly do more 3 point turns in the bed than I ever have in a car. Moving from one side to another is truly a process I have now refined. 1. kick away knee pillows, 2. move back pillow to tummy area, 3. lift legs to brace the belly move, 4. with strong legs, move the belly to the center of the bed, 5. drop legs to other side and position knee pillows, 6. reposition back pillow, and 7. pray that all this movement won't prevent you from falling back asleep for too long. Okay, so maybe it is a 7 point turn. I am also experiencing more frequent upset tummy episodes because he is squishing all my insides.

Newest joys: I have to acknowledge the good things, too! People love accommodating preggos. I have cut in line at Krizzle a few times, and have been given the best lines at the Farmer's Market, and more doors are being held open for me. And, after 40 minutes at a fast food chain, trying to get lunch for Eric's track staff, one of the workers finally said, "someone get them their food-she is pregnant and has been standing there a long time." I was hoping that the massive volume of food we were ordering (not just for the 2 of us, but for the whole staff at the region meet), combined with my swelling belly would draw some sympathy as they all would think, "that preggo is big, and HUNGRY!"

Sorry no pictures this time. My creativity is pathetic this week.

Gratitudes:

-Taking walks with Eric. Simply wonderful. Even though he came back from Boston sick, and immediately consumed with 3 weeks of region and state track obligations, we have had a few walks in our neighborhood, and it is so nice to spend that time with him-even in the thunderstorms!

-The approaching baby showers! For one if them, my mom, mom's friend (and essentially a "family" member), mother-in-law and father-in-law are all making the trip. It is going to be wonderful!

Nixed Names: *We are down to 2 first and middle name combinations! Both first names are different, and middle names are different. So, really just 2 choices. Eek! Emery (we loved this one. German, and we met at Emory University, which is close to the name), Eli, Liam, Calvin, Robert, Sebastian, Samuel, Marcus, Carter, Elliott, Henry, Max, Charles, Oscar, Noah, Isaac, Braxton, Hicks, Evan, Owen, Abe, Josef, Dylan, Griffin, Jens, Jan, Nevin, Emil, Milo, Luke, Lucas, Simon.

5 comments:

  1. I love that you walk to CVS to do the BP monitoring - great idea! I'm glad that people are being so accomodating to you in your pregnant state.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I vote for Eli. I get a vote, right?

    You're doing great, btw.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm confused - are Emery and Eli the nixed names or the potential names?! Enjoy the pregnancy perks. It's like being a celebrity (with bladder problems)!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sam, you do get a vote, but like my mom guessed, those are "nixed." no longer options. Sorry! We have 2 pairs of names. As Eric would say, "A,B" and "C,D," with each letter representing a different name. No other combinations of those 4 names...just First name A with middle name B and first name C with middle name D. What will it be?!?! I'll probably do some clues in the future...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think it's wonderful that people are treating you a bit more gently. Pregnancy is quite the experience!! :) I can't wait to be further along...and it's great to hear first-hand about what's waiting...
    *huUUuuuuUUugzz* Yael:)

    ReplyDelete