Saturday, May 31, 2008

Homecoming!

Miles Linus is home! He is just so darn cute, I had to litter the post with pictures. For even more (yes, there is more), here is the updated link to the smugmug albums: http://haywoodjb.smugmug.com. (I recognize this is more for family and any obsessed Miles Linus fans. It's tempting to put them all on the blog, but I'll spare you the overly proud mama post.)

It's been a couple of days since we have been home, but we haven't had much sleep, hence a lack of posts. Going to and from the NICU was exhausting, but feeding and pumping around the clock is even more exhausting. Plus, I don't get out of the house like I did when going to the NICU all of the time. Because Linus (oops, Miles...he'll go by both I guess) is so small, I have to pump after each feeding and have taken on a full time job as walking zombie milk machine. There is something quite appealing, now, of the cultures that are okay with the women walking around sans shirts. It would make my life a lot easier.

Here are some shots of us leaving the hospital, and a video of our first at home diaper change. (The changing pad location is no longer our coffee table; you must remember we were not prepared to bring home a baby for another 6 weeks! Miles Linus slept through the entire assembly of his chest of drawers / changing table today.) video

Some random thoughts on my post-pregnancy (note: this is not meant to be commentary on what every pregnant woman feels/experiences):

  • You really do get labor and delivery amnesia. Just a distant memory...especially when you see a face like this staring back at you every day:
  • Caring for a baby is just as tough as they make it out to be, but worth every single moment. And by "no sleep," they really mean NO sleep. You have to get cat naps when you can: (please note that the hairy chest is NOT mine! ha ha)
  • Selling a condo and buying a house after you actually deliver is not recommended. Yup! We sold and bought while caring for a preemie in the NICU. Try squeezing in looking at houses in between NICU visits was not in my discharge paperwork. It got to the point that I had to go topless in the back of my father-in-laws van and pump on the way to see houses. Love the in-laws to death, but I realized at that point that there was not one shred of privacy that I was able to maintain. Needless to say, Eric had to assuage my exhaustion and crying spell so I could press on and look at houses.
  • Speaking of breastfeeding:
    • breastfeeding a preemie (or perhaps any infant?) is not completely intuitive. For me, it has been agonizingly hard at times, but the private time I have with Miles is priceless.
    • breastfed baby poop doesn't smell! (But it looks like mustard.)
    • not all women get the insatiable hunger with breastfeeding. My appetite has strangely waned, and I am back on a bagel and limeade diet.
    • breast feeding has contributed to one heck of a body. Interestingly, there really was more than 4lbs 9oz of baby lost on the day of delivery. I had lost well over 10lbs with the birth, and within days am happy to report that I am less than 10lbs from pre-pregnancy weight (not pre-pregnancy fitness). I do attribute this good fortune to being in pretty good shape prior to pregnancy, great genes, and (sadly), having 6 fewer weeks of pregnancy (something that I would not opt over a full term baby if I had the choice).
  • Strangely, I have noticed a "linea negra" on my belly. I guess it was there all of the time, but it didn't appear until recently. Don't know what it is? This is when the "mom" in me is going to tell you to get out the encyclopedia (or just Google it).
  • Little boys really do like to christen you whenever possible. Miles even did it to the nurse at the pediatrician! He's all boy...and even loves the whole "hands in the pants" thing (thanks Grand Nana for the preemie outfit, half of which is seen here.)

A fun hiccups video!

video

10 comments:

  1. He is so beautiful! I can't believe how much hair he has already. And that you guys already bought a house. WOW! You put a whole new standard out there for new mom's to meet...

    Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sweet baby Miles. I don't want to wait until July to snuggle with him :-(

    Can't believe you bought a house too, congrats.
    We'll be there to help you move.

    ReplyDelete
  3. He is SO adorable! I love all the pictures and had to laugh at the hiccups video--it's too cute how their little bodies move with each hiccup. And, congrats on the house. We look forward to hearing more about it in the future. In the meantime, keep getting rest when you can!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations. He is so beautiful. That first hairy picture and warning made me laugh!

    And I am so excited for you that you were able to sell your condo AND find something new. What a lifted burden.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a post! First of all, congratulations on selling the condo and welcome to the world of home ownership. Second, every picture is so cute - Nate and I were oohing and ahhing over every one! Third of all I think you get the title "Supermom" and "Superdad"!

    ReplyDelete
  6. P.S. It is unbelievable how much he resembles ERIC!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree with Amy, he looks so much like his daddy already!
    Congrats on the new house and all the wonderful changes that have taken place...I can't wait to see Miles!
    Renata

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! little Miles-Linus is so adorable...it must be a wonderful experience to be a Mom - and it agrees with you so well, you look terrific! :)
    Thanks for putting in all the little deets -- it's reassuring. Now I won't be the one thinking, hmmm-yellow poop. Is that NORMAL??!? :)
    Hugggzzz,
    Yael :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Eeeek! Everyone said everything I'm thinking: totally cracked me up to imagine your hairy chest, love the hiccups, he looks sooo much like daddy, and you tootally have a baby in your house!!!! You HAVE a house! YIPPY!

    ReplyDelete