Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Scrumdiddly

CD was kind enough to send on some of the recipes from the shower. I love tea sandwiches, and with my inability to eat large foods at one time, they are perfect for preggos!

TEA SANDWICH SAMPLER

Cheddar and Chutney

INGREDIENTS

  • 8 T mango chutney such as Major Grey's
  • 16 slices (2-1/2-by-2-1/2-inch) dark pumpernickel cocktail bread, such as Rubschlager
  • 4 oz aged sharp cheddar, thinly sliced

INSTRUCTIONS

  • Spread a thin layer of chutney on 1 side of each bread slice. (You will use 1 T per sandwich or 1 1/2 t [1/2 T] per slice of bread.)
  • Top 8 slices with a layer of cheese (about 1/2 oz per slice) and close sandwiches with remaining 8 slices of bread. Let sit about 30 min before serving to allow flavors to meld. Serve sandwiches whole, or if you like, slice each sandwich in half on the diagonal.

Lemon, Cucumber and Hummus

INGREDIENTS

  • 6 slices white bread
  • 1/2 medium English cucumber (about 5 oz)
  • 2 t kosher salt
  • 1 medium lemon
  • 6 T hummus

INSTRUCTIONS

  • Use a rolling pin to flatten each slice of bread.
  • Using a mandoline or a very sharp knife, slice cucumber into paper-thin rounds, about 1/16 inch thick. Place slices in a medium mixing bowl, and toss with salt. Place cucumber slices in a colander or sieve set over a mixing bowl; let drain for 15 to 20 min.
  • Meanwhile, using a mandoline or a very sharp knife, slice lemon into paper-thin rounds, about 1/16 inch thick, removing any seeds as you go. Set slices aside.
  • Spread 1 T of the hummus evenly on one side of each slice of bread.
  • Lightly blot cucumber slices with paper towels to remove excess moisture. Shingle cucumber slices over hummus on 3 slices of bread—you should use roughly 10 to 12 slices on each sandwich. Top cucumbers with a layer of lemon slices (about 4 slices per sandwich).
  • Close sandwiches with remaining slices of bread. Trim the edges again. If making tea sandwiches, cut each sandwich into 4 squares, and serve.

Tomato, Avocado, Pesto


INGREDIENTS

  • Tomato
  • Avocado
  • Pesto

INSTRUCTIONS

  • (There were no instructions for this tea sandwich, but my guess is to spread pesto on bread, put some avocado and tomato on it, too!)

Lemon-Tarragon Chicken Salad

INGREDIENTS

  • 1.5 lbs grilled chicken
  • 3/4 C finely chopped celery
  • 1/2 C plus 3 T mayonnaise
  • 1/4 C finely chopped red onion
  • 2 T chopped fresh tarragon
  • 2 T fresh lemon juice
  • 1 t grated lemon peel
  • 12 slices rye bread with seeds

INSTRUCTIONS

  • Mix celery, 1/2 C mayo, onion, tarragon, lemon juice, and lemon peel in large bowl to blend.
  • Cut chicken into 1/2 inch cubes; stir into mayo mixture
  • Season with salt and pepper (can be made 4 hrs ahead. Cover; chill)
  • Arrange 6 bread slices on work surface. Spread with 3 T mayo. Divide salad among bread slices. Top each with lettuce and second bread slice. Cut sandwiches in half and serve.

SALAD RECIPES


Bowtie Pasta Salad

  • Combine 2/3 C balsamic vinegar, 1/3 C olive oil, and pretty much add to taste: minced garlic (~2 T),
  • cut-up sun-dried tomatoes (~1, 12-oz jar marinated),
  • cut-up artichoke hearts (~2, 8-oz jars, marinated)
  • cut-up fresh basil (1/2 to 3/4 cup-ish).
  • Let it sit for an hour or so before you make the pasta.
  • Combine the topping over 1 lb. cooked bow-tie pasta and top it off with crumbled goat cheese.
Cous Cous (this is "the staple" dish of all of our friends, started from JW many years ago in grad school. You can add/delete ingredients to make it your own. E.g. Eric hates chickpeas, so we also add chicken)

INGREDIENTS
  • 3 green onions
  • 1 T olive oil, and 6 T olive oil
  • 1 (14.5oz) can broth (chicken or veggie)
  • 1 t cinnamon (or more if you like it!)
  • 1/2 t ground black pepper
  • 1/4 t ground red pepper/cayenne (add more if you like it spicy)
  • 1 (10oz) package cous cous
  • 3 T white wine vinegar
  • 1 can chickpeas
  • 2 C shredded carrots (we use broccoli slaw a lot...take out purple radicchio)
  • 1 C dates (pitted and chopped)
  • 1/3 C pine nuts, toasted
  • 2 T cilantro (or more if you like)
  • 1/4-1/3 C blanched or toasted almonds

INSTRUCTIONS

  • Finely dice green onions. Cook white onion part in 1 T olive oil for 5 min (reserve green part for later). You can also toast the pine nuts and almonds at this stage, too.
  • Stir in broth, cinnamon, 1/4 t black and red pepper. Bring to boil.
  • Add cous cous, cover and remove from heat. Let stand 5 min
  • Whisk together 3 T white wine vinegar, 1/2 t salt, and 6 T olive oil in small bowl
  • Fluff cous cous with fork; put in large bowl. Toss in sliced green onions, chickpeas, carrot/slaw, dates (chicken if you wanted). Add salt to taste.
  • Add vinaigrette and toss again.
  • Garnish with chopped cilantro and mix.






Eric and I are still getting over such an amazing weekend, and I just wanted to express my gratitude yet again.

I am reaching the limits of my body's ability to function normally, and am really feeling 34 weeks pregnant (and the weight of 25lbs+). I find my belly rubbing on lots of unexpected areas--like the closet door, and it keeps stretching to lengths unimaginable. Oh, someone at work said, "you're doing the pregnancy waddle, now!" Hmmm...not sure how I like the word "waddle." Although, this was the same co-worker who told me I was finally "filling out." Not sure how I feel about any of the word choices... I can now say I know what it is like to retain water, and as the day progresses, have swollen feet, hands, and am working the "fat face." But, I can really feel Linus's body in my belly, and am willing to sacrifice being a cute pregnant woman for the health and growth of this baby any day! I am finding it harder to do daily walks and/or yoga, mostly because of sheer exhaustion. I am reminded of my first trimester in not being able to eat a lot...but instead of a lack of appetite and nausea, I have a normal appetite, and no pre-meal nausea, but the second I eat, am full and have felt sick to my tummy many times. I think it is related to Linus's tush pushing on my stomach. Knock on wood, I have had no heartburn!

Gratitudes:

-I am really thankful for a wonderful referral to a graphic artist who developed the best thank you notes and announcements for us! I'll post examples, soon, along with her information in case anyone is interested.


NAME CLUES

There have been some interesting guesses for the name. I guess Eric is 98% sure on one of them, now! I can say that no one has guessed the actual name, but someone has guessed some of the name that will probably not be chosen...but she has not posted it on the blog, and e-mailed me her guess. She is a clever one...(and tres talented at quilting. See? There I go again with my French).

2 comments:

  1. I just finished breakfast and am now hungry again after reading this post. Thanks for posting the recipes! I think we need some updated pics of the preggo in the blogosphere!!

    I will now start taking bids for anyone wanting to know my name guess, ha ha ha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How much are you thinking, Amy? I am so curious (and woefully unimaginative)!

    Thanks to Carol for the recipes. The sandwiches were delicious!

    I remember my belly impeding me when I tried to kneel in church. It kept bumping the hymnal rack! Not to mention having to heave myself back up after kneeling....

    ReplyDelete