Thursday, October 2, 2008

Wordless Wednesday

Okay, I am cheating. It is Thursday, and here I am vomiting words. I just couldn't get on the computer last night for "Almost Wordless Wednesday." But I'll attempt to be brief.

October is upon us, and in Atlanta, the air is dry, cool and crisp and the gas pumps are starting to flow "overeth" again. It is also a big month: Breast Cancer Awareness month, Children's Health month, Ali's 1/2 marathon training amps up, and the race for the White House is in the final 800 meters. Plus, today is READ FOR THE RECORD day:
  • Adults and children are asked to support early education opportunities for all children by reading the official campaign book, Corduroy, together on October 2, 2008 to break the record for the largest shared reading experience ever, which was set by 258,000 people on September 20, 2007 during the 2nd year of Jumpstart’s Read for the Record campaign.
Miles is reading it with his ELC buddies today, and we will read it tonight instead of this week's book bedtime book, Chicka Chicka Boom Boom. I hope everyone takes a moment to read Corduroy to your "youngins" if possible.

Eric has kindly adjusted his running speed to meet mine with the help of a jogging stroller and 12.7lb baby. I am gearing up for my first long run this weekend and have been out hitting the pavement with Pappi and Mee-layz. MomA (or Nana...I keep going back to calling her MomA--"Mom Anne") generously gifted Miles with a huge package from LL Bean, including a wonderful fleece suit with matching frog hat and thumbless mittens. The hat and mittens were perfect for our recent chilly run outside. More pictures at the post's conclusion. Notice the deer in the headlights visage. Classic Miles.
I also included pictures of the nursery as I took them for my original intention of doing "Almost Wordless Wednesday." And we also begun our wall of black and white photos. Our intention is to fill the whole wall with B&W family photos. We are still looking for 2 frames for 2 Miles photos. No real anecdotes, just random pictures.

For Children's Health month, a calendar has been developed of extremely do-able tips that still having the potential for big impact. They range from greening your house and improving nutrition to getting civically engaged and reducing energy use to prevent global warming. Instead of Gratitudes, for the month of October, I will do Green-atudes and post each day's tip.

Green-atude: October 1

Register to vote: justvote.org

I cannot express how important it is to vote. I would love to be a bug in your ear, rather a huge elephant in your ear--that would be painful--and kindly "suggest" the candidate you should choose, and why the Barracuda instills the fear of God in me, but the focus should be on getting people to the polls, regardless of political leaning. Watch the debate tonight! Should be good theater.


October 2

Replace 3 incandescent light bulbs with 3 CFLs.



Full album of pictures here!

4 comments:

  1. I love corduroy! In fact i recently acquired my own copy at a used book sale - i will give it a read tonight, even though I don't have any kiddos. I love love love the nursery!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the white windows on the yellow wall. So cute.

    Also, you should have a caption contest for Miles' deer in headlights photo.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness. Miles is so beautiful it makes my heart ache. What eyes! What cheeks! What a mouth! The photo wall is stunning as well.
    I look forward to seeing all the Bean's clothing when I am down and walking the 5K with you all! Yay!

    ReplyDelete
  4. P.S. I know I have maintained that Miles is Mini-Eric all the way, but I am starting to see some Ali-Sahn in him!! I can't believe how big he is getting!

    ReplyDelete