Monday, January 5, 2009

Golden Showers and Christmas Review

Miles has a penchant for marking his territory recently. The new Early Learning Center employee came in for a trial run day and Miles peed on her TWICE while she was changing his diaper. And then, he decided to christen what I imagine to be a rather expensive x-ray machine at Children's Orthopaedics of Atlanta over the holiday break. I must say that he handled the x-ray quite well, and had the two techs in giggles (that flirt). How can you get mad at a face like this?
The better news is at this point his hips and growth plates seem to be within normal ranges, and we don't need to go back until he is walking. We will continue with weekly PT and the night splint for his foot, but I am glad that we don't have to consider any other serious orthopedic obstacles. Our Ohio trip was cut short due to this appointment, but the extra time at home has allowed us to get back to our normal schedule for bed time. It has also allowed me to be confronted with a mess of a house that is screaming for some TLC. This past weekend I was playing single parent as Eric was in NC for a coaching conference, and it took me 2 days to clean the kitchen and Miles's room. Dare I say that you don't get much done with a 7 month old! And I have to admit that like those doggie parents who welcome their canine companions into the bed when they have an empty bed, I bed-shared with Miles all weekend. He usually finds himself between Eric and me between 4 and 5AM every day, but I swept him up and plopped him in the bed upon his first waking each night I was alone. Bad habit? Maybe, but there's not much better than a 17 lb baby breathing dreams of breast milk and nipples in your face. One caveat: Miles has much better access to my hair in the bed. He is obsessed with ripping out my hair. My sister-in-law even noticed via skype that I had these 1/2 inch "bangs" sticking straight up after a recent run I took.

Overall, our holiday break was fantastic, and am including a link to the Picasa web album recap. (there are 2 videos, too, that are being stubborn in uploading--sorry). Miles was introduced to avocado. His repertoire now includes: carrots, banana avocado, sweet potato, and we just got some peas to try this week. We got to spend some quality time with "the angel Gabriel" (aka "Uncle" Jer) and Dr P. (Your eyes are deceiving you...Jeremy is not an angel with a halo. It's just a light.)Miles also got to hang with another set of GREAT grandparents (who just happen to look like grandparents...those spring chickens!)Eric surprised me one day, finding this medieval torture device in some dank corner of his parents' basement. Dare I say that this is not the strangest component to the room; those of you who know about the 2 resident girls ("rebecca" and "ashley") poised for conversation are totally with me...
We were able to engage in such search and conquer adventures because we had about 15 extra sets of hands willing and ready to walk a teething baby into a trance. Opa was just about the cutest thing, always asking to cuddle with Mee-lez. He even offered to get up with him all night so we could get to sleep. I told him that, unfortunately, the job requirements included being able to breast feed. He said he stopped that years ago...

Speaking of, my supply suffered dramatically with all of the travel. We had to buy a can of formula while in OH :(. Actually since November, he has had to get ~ 4 oz a day of supplementation because I just can't keep up, and struggle to keep hydrated and keep adequate weight on my bones. I won't go into the guilt, but I figure that even if 85% of his liquid is milk, I am doing okay for a full time working mom. And, the kid looks well fed to me:

4 comments:

  1. keep up the good work ali...i know how the guilt can creep up on you...i have been there before. many working moms have to supplement eventually...my turn may very well be just around the corner. you have done an awesome job feeding miles yourself for this long and you should be proud of yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow, this post speaks to me so completely it's scary. Hopefully, the similarity of experience will make you feel better. First, I have those one-inch "bangs" too and my hairdresser has no idea why. It must be a nursing mom thing. Second, my breastfeeding days are also waning (Ella decided I make a nice chew toy and there are certain limits a mom has to set), and I have had so much guilt. You have made such an effort, and Miles is wonderful and healthy, so just keep reminding yourself that he will be totally fine with some formula (can you tell I've been telling myself this as well?). I love the new picture at the top of the blog, and I'm glad to hear Miles will need only limited intervention!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sigh! He grows cuter and cuter. I agree about the really, really, really young looking great grandparents.
    Try not to feel guilty about needing to supplement your breast milk with formula. It won't do Miles or you any good if you become unhealthy. Think about how well you've done for 7 months! That goes for all the guilty mothers. You're all doing great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh this child....I just can't even handle how amazing he is. He seriously gets more and more adorable. Why do we live so far away!

    ReplyDelete