Monday, July 20, 2009

Totaway Part II

Here are some pictures of our weekend away. (Full pics on Picasa) Okay, so it was only 24 hours away, but it was really fun! On Saturday, Eric and I got up really early for his first official bike race! As a spectator, I don't find them to be as fun as running races, but it made me want to get back into peak running shape to do some of my own races. In time...
From Totaway weekend
From Totaway weekend
Afterward, we went home, cuddled with Miles, got freshened up, and then started our 24 hours away. We dined at a new restaurant in our old neighborhood--Rosebud. It was good--not great, but it was nice not having to ask for a high chair and negotiate flying food. Prior to leaving, we took family pictures. Please notice my shirt--it is my "going out shirt" that I have worn on 8 zillion nights out ever since my (gulp) Bachelorette party! Hey, it has gotten some good use, which is good b/c I spent full price at Banana for that number.
From Totaway weekend
From Totaway weekend


Banning Mills zip line canopy tour was awesome! Climbing up the first shaky tour with a group of cussing 40 somethings didn't inspire a lot of confidence, but it turned out to be wicked fun. And, it helped that before me, an 83 year old g-ma named Bobbi zipped down the first line without wincing or hesitation. No joke. She only did the first one, but I hope I am spry enough to zip line when I am her age. When we go back, we'll do the "big daddy" Screaming Eagle 4+ hour tour that has a line where you zip 70mph. Here is me zipping!
From Totaway weekend


We stayed at the Inn on site. It sure was "country" to say the least. It's hard when I have such high expectations that were set when we stayed at the most glorious B&B in Asheville, NC on our first anniversary. The room was huge, but overpriced for what it was. We did do a lot of laughing as we discovered the huge bed was really 2 beds put together. We also shared some chuckles over the free rental we picked from the Inn's vast library of DVDs. We chose Apocalypto. Poor choice. We should have gone with Short Circuit. Despite the movie's categorization as a drama, we found a lot of humor in Mel's failed attempt at entertainment. Eric did get to enjoy the in-room hot tub. I didn't, but he said it was nice, especially after his bike ride.
From Totaway weekend


And what vacation is complete without a trip to Walmart? As we were VERY remote, we didn't have access to much, which you wouldn't think mattered but I FORGOT MY SNEAKERS! I wore some lovely silver thongs (shoes, people) for dinner, but totally left my sneakers at the front door. And here's the rub--of all people, I am the last one who needs to get more sneakers. With my history as a Puma wear tester and the recipient of multiple pairs of free Reeboks, and my general inability to throw away my old running sneakers...I do not need anymore sneakers. But, I couldn't do the zip line in my sandals, so we took the 20 minute drive to Walmart and I got a pair of the least hideous shoes I could find. The were on the pricier side of their options ($13), and we also somehow ended up with $1 toothpaste and some cheap Powerade. (The truth is, Walmart IS cheap...but the whole store made me kind of sad for some reason.) The shoes did the trick, but now they crest the big pile of things I need to donate.
From Totaway weekend


More fun and exciting stuff to share soon, but I have been plagued with a 2 day migraine--my first ever (and let's hope my last). I end by reemphasizing that taking the time away from being a parent to reconnect with your partner--even if just for 24 hours, can do miracles. I almost look well rested.

From Totaway weekend

No comments:

Post a Comment