Monday, December 28, 2009

Christmas Miracles

Christmas could have "felt" like this:

From December 2009

But we had our own Christmas miracle on Vanet Road...(PS--Miles was not the only one at school who HATED Santa...but I am not sure anyone else got a picture this heart wrenching. Thanks, Dad. Nothing like not seeing your son for 2 days, and the only documentation you bring to me is this picture. Good thing he followed it up later with an amazingly cute video of Miles singing his heart out to Jingle Bells...)

After 8 days in room B7, multiple rounds of nurses, terbutaline shots, IVs fluid and antibiotics, and mountains of procardia/colace...I was released! Why? As the Dr noted--there was nothing left they could do for me. I refused to go down the magnesium sulfate route (and the OB actually agreed it wasn't in my best interest), am on the absolute highest dose of medication they can give me, and have no other tricks to employ if I go into active labor. So, I could rot in the bed of room B7, or stay on strict bed rest at home. Granted, I wasn't getting the constant fetal heart rate and contraction monitoring, but Kilo looked "textbook perfect" every time he was monitored, and I could certainly "track" my contractions on my own. (If one more nurse, OB, perinatologist said to me, "can you FEEL these contractions?" or "You contract all of the time." I was going to lose it--as much as you can strapped to a bed) Luckily, I had scores of visitors (some of whom totally decked out my room in X-mas gear) towards the end, and upon my discharge, can say I truly miss some of the nurses with whom I became close. I assessed each one for my L&D "dream team," and have a good 15 or so I will feel comfortable with. First, they had to have a good sense of humor. Second, they had to have delivered a baby--or been close (they need to be good under pressure). I also got to meet pretty much all of the on call OBs who rounded while my primary was on vacation. They are all AWESOME! I just feel so good about everything.

Christmas at home was, well, not Christmas in the hospital. Doesn't that sort of say it all? We were surprised with Eric's parents AND Eric's sister and her husband's presence for the holidays! It was certainly not the most traditional X-mas, and didn't really "feel" like holidays of the past, but just being home made a world of difference. And the company was amazing. I so wish family lived closer. Eric made 2 amazing meals (seriously--amazing) and Miles got spoiled rotten from everyone. We roused ourselves for games of Scrabble Slam, Scrabble and Scattegories (what is a portapus, anyway...and I still don't think "dust" is an acceptable answer for "things found in a coffee shop."), and now we are all enjoying the continual waiting game of Kilo's arrival. My sense is that everyone will leave, and Kilo will feel like it is time to be born. As much as I would hate for everyone down here to miss the birth, I am conflicted because every day he cooks, is a few fewer days in the NICU.

Things have been so full of optimism with good news after good news that I haven't had time to craft a cogent thought for this post, hence the disconnected thoughts and musings of today. I try NOT to stay on the Internet for too long because I am trying to enjoy the company and the last days I have with Miles as an only child.

Speaking of Miles--he is a champ. He is soldiering through all of this so well. I wish I had more photos and videos of him b/c the past 2 weeks he has just exploded in happiness, dance and hilarity. He crashes into the room every day to shower me in kisses and belly flops, and it is so wonderful. He was slightly scared of me at the hospital, but a few spins on the nurses stool and games of peek-a-boo with my privacy curtain, and he was okay.

From December 2009
From December 2009
From December 2009

Speaking of being a champ. Um, my mom should be up for sainthood...or at least Times most influential person of the year (screw Tiger and Bernanke). She flew back down to Atlanta 1 day after leaving once she heard I was admitted, and has woven her way into our lives. She cooks, cleans, cares for Miles, waits on me so that I don't have to threaten my bed rest (and cervix), and even spent her FIRST birthday away from my brothers, and her first Christmas away from her Husband since they were married. Yup. Her birthday was on December 23rd, so we HAD to "do it up." And by "do it up," I mean eat take-out Indian on my bed and indulge in Publix chocolate cake and Moroccan Mint tea while knitting. Not sure she ever imagined such an evening...
From December 2009
From December 2009

Eric has spent most of his time entertaining and running the house, so we have little documentation of the past few weeks, so below are a few random shots. (Click on December 2009 under the photos to link to the full gallery.) Luckily, Miles's newest obsession is throwing everything in the recycle bin, so we put him to good use. And he is also at that stage where you can ask him to do anything and he'll oblige (Miles, give those coupons to Nana...Miles, throw that away...Miles, go brush your teeth...Miles, dance like a little trained monkey...)

Thank you EVERYONE for your thoughts, prayers, meals, errands, gifts, etc. We are blessed! Once things sort of stabilize, or I am hooked up to a breast pump and have a sleeping infant on me all day, I will get to really sit down and thank each and every one of you. Until then, apologies for my sporadic phone and e-mail presence. Sometimes, a mom just needs to get totally absorbed in her family she missed/misses so much. :)

Christmas morning. Miles taking out some pacifiers someone gave us for the new baby. Already a doting big brother (as if he has ANY idea his mom is with child and that his life is going to change soon):
From December 2009

Miles's kisses...I am not lying when I tell you I get them all day...and huge cuddles. Ugh, I love him so...
From December 2009

What is just as good as Christmas presents? The tote to hold my presents in!
From December 2009

I love my new kitchen! (And have already hidden things like the fan remote in the oven, causing mass chaos in the house for 30 minutes...)
From December 2009

Miles and Opa
From December 2009

And yes--it was not "sew" easy, but I finished all 3 stockings! I still need to knit Kilo's, but not too shabby. Why did I pick a pattern that required each side to be composed of FIVE separate pieces?
From December 2009
From December 2009

Holy nearly 35 week belly. I'm huge. And I feel every single inch of this 5lb + kid. (Oh yes--he is measuring over 5lbs 3oz!)
From December 2009
From December 2009
From December 2009
From December 2009

Crazy realization of the day--I have never been pregnant this long before. My uterus isn't so bad! Just cantankerous.

3cm dilated, 80% effaced, and I lost the mucus plug. Crazy. Dr Moore told me today he didn't think I would get this far...and Eric admitted the same thing to me on the way home. Truthfully, neither did I.

Miracles do happen.

4 comments:

  1. So happy you got to come home for the holidays and that Kilo decided to wait on his first Christmas. I had to laugh at Miles hiding the fan remote in his kitchen--Jason found my blackberry in Ella's oven yesterday! Keep taking care of yourselves.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dan and I figured for sure that Kilo had arrived. So happy to hear that he is still tucked in there. You look fantastic, and we are anxiously awaiting Baby Kilo's arrival. That pic of you and Miles is absolutely priceless----I love it!!!

    Who knows, at this rate, perhaps Kilo will be the 1st baby of 2010 and you'll be showered with all sorts of college financial assistance, diapers etc.

    Rest up!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You guys truly are blessed - this post was awesome! So many wonderful events and people to celebrate this Christmas.

    Enjoy all the miracles in your life! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay! You finally got take-out Indian! Hooray! I'm glad to hear that you had such a great Christmas. Miles could not possibly be cuter or look more like his parents - even in his 'Santa is scary' photo. We have a similar shot of my 8-month old nephew: a kid who is all smiles at every stranger he encounters...except Santa. Keep cooking Kilo! You have so many people rooting for you to skip the NICU!

    ReplyDelete