Monday, January 11, 2010

1, 29, 30, 37: Birthday by numbers

From 37 weeks: 29/30 year b-day

Felix: 1 week old!
From Felix Days 1-3

Eric: 29 years old!
From 37 weeks: 29/30 year b-day

Ali: 30 years old!
From 37 weeks: 29/30 year b-day

From 37 weeks: 29/30 year b-day

Ali: 37 weeks "pregnant"! Listen folks--I totally recognize the self-indulgent nature of the shot below. But you have to understand that even though in my mind the abs are soft, bum is still sagalicious, and arms are padded with weeks of bed rest, I feel great. I am eager to get back to running and shed the last few pounds. I now understand how karma works: pregnancy is a BEAST for me...but delivery and post-preggo body are pretty darn sweet.
From 37 weeks: 29/30 year b-day

(And Miles...he wishes he was a baby again I guess!)
From 37 weeks: 29/30 year b-day

This was the most non-eventful 30th birthday of my life. Well, I guess it is my only 30th birthday, huh? I am not a huge birthday fan, but it is amazing how having a baby puts things in perspective. Rumor has it that Eric had been planning a 30th bash, but my uterus really put the kibosh on it. Since my release from the hospital right before Christmas, it has kind of felt like the accumulation of lots of little birthday gifts: the extended stay of my mother, visit from the in-laws and sister/brother-in-law, surprise appearance of my best friend from Cali, winning Scrabble, giving birth in 10 minutes, taking Felix home, feeling successful with breastfeeding, and now getting the chance to bond with not only Felix, but also reconnect with Miles.

We are blessed.

Eric and I agreed on no gifts for Christmas or our birthdays (yes, we share a birthday). Of course, Eric had to show me up (it must be hard to contend with bearing children and giving birth naturally, I don't blame him) and SURPRISED me with a never to be released again, signed by the artist Charley Harper print called Family Owlbum

From Felix Days 1-3


Is that not the most perfect gift? If you don't know, we received THREE amazing CH prints when Miles was born and I have wanted another one since. This one truly touches my heart as I see my little family in the image. When we first articulated our desire to acquire Harper prints when I was pregnant with Miles, I distinctly remember one of our friends questioning our motive--wasn't it a selfish desire? (I cannot remember his words specifically). The truth is, collecting art that truly resonates with our aesthetic and touches our spirits in a unique way is important to us. And unlike much of the nursery decorations and baby shower gifts people accumulate, we figure the pieces will be important to pass down to our children. I recognize our taste and interest may raise an eyebrow or two, but we really feel passionate about the artist. (And the crazy thing is that the #1 distributor is located in Eric's hometown!) Two things we love: good art and good books.

In reality, Eric and I had agreed to give each other an updated bathroom for the Christmas/birthday season. Right before I delivered, we "renovated" our pathetic master toilet hovel. Thanks to Opa Cal, we got a new can light in the shower and a light tube in our kitchen. We got a new sink, new toilet, new mirror, painted the walls...and then were stuck with these darn yellow wall tiles. The issue is that they are glazed with lead and to remove them runs the risk of spraying lead dust into our house. Miles has high lead in his blood, so we decided that removal was not prudent. I researched for HOURS on alternative solutions. No dice...until I had a crazy idea--contact paper. So, we spent $7 on contact paper and hand cut out tiles and spanked them right on the yellow wall tiles. Not bad, huh???

Old hovel:
From 37 weeks: 29/30 year b-day
From 37 weeks: 29/30 year b-day

New master suite (ha ha)
From 37 weeks: 29/30 year b-day
From 37 weeks: 29/30 year b-day
From 37 weeks: 29/30 year b-day
(hi Eric!)
From 37 weeks: 29/30 year b-day


Oh, and those cupcakes above were made by Miles's childcare director's daughter for our b-day. You have no idea how good they are. Like I said--truly blessed.

(full galleries: Felix days 1-3 and b-day numbers)

6 comments:

  1. Wow, you'd never guess that's contact paper! And funny that your birthday is so close to mine. Feels like another coincidence, but maybe I'm reaching here. :)

    Happy (belated) birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. great job with the contact paper! gives me so many ideas for my beast of a formerly-forclosure house!
    You are so beautiful Ali...inside and out. Miles and Felix (love his name, btw) are so blessed to have such amazing parents.
    R

    ReplyDelete
  3. First of all, you look AMAZING having given birth a week ago! Your body bounced back so quickly, you are glowing. The Charlie Harper print is adorable and the perfect addition to your collection. I LOVE your new bathroom, it looks great, the sink is awesome. Happy Birthday to you both, what a wonderful year you have ahead of you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am super impressed with y'alls bathroom. I had heard a little bit about it, but it looks great and so do you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an adventure it was- bathroom, baby, and more! I know from experience that the birthday cupcakes are fablulous.
    Alison, you look even more fit and trim than when I left on Sunday!
    Sigh. I miss everyone there.
    Love,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  6. That poppy seed cupcake NEEDS to be eaten by me. Immediately. I hope you still have a bite left to share :)

    The bathroom looks AWESOME and Eric did SUCH a good job on the new print - it is super darling.

    ReplyDelete