Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Monkey. Knife. Fight.

Really. What do you think when you see an under 30 year old, in shape man who happens to wear (bow) ties and button downs much of the week with an 8 inch laceration on the side of his neck? We pondered this on our walk around the block last night. Terrible shaving accident? Felix's nails during a colicky episode? Falling on a javelin? But we are going with my brother's suggestion: monkey knife fight.

I know you have all been waiting with baited breath for an update--and I am finally sitting in one spot, freshly showered (still managing that feat every day) foot bouncing Felix in his chair, ready to be "present."

Eric's return home has been great. He has his own make-shift hospital bed on the couch and a house full of willing nurses to answer his ever call and request. Every day things get a little better. His pain is managed by some percocet, but it comes with a nasty side effect: "two face." Oh, you haven't seen that listed on a 'script before? Essentially, he takes the medication and turns into someone else. Generally, that someone else is comatose on the couch. It's hard seeing your husband sort of rot on the couch when you are used to seeing a spry, fit man running around singing, joking and being more productive than anyone I know. That someone else also walks like he is 80 years old, and cannot quite lift his eyelids enough to look like he hasn't had at least 8 beers. With the neck drain bandage, monkey stab wound, and general geriatric malaise he assumes, Miles is very nervous around him. The first few days he wouldn't go into the family room, but then we made strides and had him say "Bye Da-dee" from the stoop into the room. Next, family hugs, and then we have graduated this week to having Miles sit on Daddy's lap for story time at night. Luckily, Felix is no worse from the wear. He just rolls with it. And I completely intended that "rolls" pun.
From Beginning of March 2010

Eric's speech is awesome. I say that because I was certain we would be baby sign-"languaging" still, or at least using a white board to communicate. I rarely ask him to repeat himself. But, it is not anything like before. With the copious amounts of spit and crooked numb tongue, he sounds like a prime candidate for any middle schooler to poke inappropriate jokes at. Actually, I wouldn't put it past high schoolers to make fun of his voice, either.

Right now we are in waiting purgatory. We won't know the results of his node pathology until his appointment on Friday. It is an awful feeling knowing that the results or sitting somewhere and we cannot have access to them. Kind of feels like they are stolen--like, isn't that our property? But the surgeon does not like to discuss anything over the phone. This is what I was told yesterday and today by his nurse. Part of me doesn't like that response because it makes me feel like something bad is coming. But yesterday I was told that even before I gave the admin Eric's name. Let's keep the prayers coming, folks.

Eric's fear of losing rapids amount of wait have not been realized too much. He is down to 138lb, but is only 5 or so pounds from normal! I think he is going to swear off smoothies, Odwalla, milkshakes and applesauce soon. He still cannot chew, so consumes everything by shoving it to the back of his throat and swallowing.

We've had a steady stream of visitors which has been great. It wears him out at times, but I think it feels so good to see fresh faces. We do make it around the block every night for a walk, and Eric is going to try to make it to the track meet tomorrow, but I'll have to be his body guard. Knowing Eric, he may try to jump in one of the events, or take over announcing results or something. Plus, I am sure there will be lots of hugs and interest in the walking monkey knife wound.

Eric's sister and brother-in-law left Friday and his parents left early Sunday morning (while Eric was in one of his percocet comas), but my mom is still here. I don't know how we would have done this without their help. With Miles being home for the week on spring break, and oh yeah, that 11lb infant I need to take care of, we needed all the hands we could get! Eric's Dad was on hospital night duty, and Eric's mom was Jill of all trades while his sister quickly became Miles's newest girlfriend. The weather wasn't cooperating, so when cabin fever really hit, they spent the day with the boys at the mall. Miles loved throwing money into the fountain,
From Beginning of March 2010
From Beginning of March 2010
riding the escalator,
From Beginning of March 2010
riding in the mall car,
From Beginning of March 2010
and eating at the food court.
From Beginning of March 2010
Felix even apparently got the luxury treatment and had a diaper change in Nordstrom's!
From Beginning of March 2010

And I need to just acknowledge Carol and Marybeth (I am using full first names here--they deserve the kudos!) for keeping me from stealing Eric's percocet for myself. The adrenaline has worn off and now I am realizing that I am having a hard time keeping everything together. It doesn't help that Miles is still getting up every night and Felix's fussy time is still for a few hours at night (2 nights ago I was up calming him from 7:30pm until almost 3am!)

The well wishes and support continues. I have received messages on Facebook from the most unlikely people, and it continues to warm my heart. Mama Schlotty sent just about the best care package--full of things for the kids (see pics of Miles with the play-dough--and his insane cowlick)
From Beginning of March 2010
From Beginning of March 2010
as well as for the couple. Eric and I are filling out some fun questions in a journal to share with each other, and I have some pleasure reading that doesn't involve colic or cancer! And we got a gift of a family pass to the Atlanta Zoo! (I still haven't even acknowledged it from the W family--that's how far behind on e-mail I am). And lots of meals coming as well as some of the most amazing cards. And yet another random power of prayer story: Eric's cousin's wife's mother (you follow?) in Ohio received a prayer e-mail for Eric from a mother's group at Eric's school in Atlanta. CRAZY!

 I would like to take a moment to remove myself from all of our own drama and send good wishes and blessings to my friend Mama S.M. who gave birth to her little boy while on vacation in FL at 29 weeks! He is doing remarkably well, and as a mom of 2 little early bird boys, have a huge heart to go out to her. Part of Eric's and my goal is to give back since we have received so much. I send all my love and support to the new family (and hope to send some preemie clothes soon, too!). And perhaps if you find yourself sending us good vibes, you can give a shout out for this little boy's continued good health.

And to end, here are some pictures of the boys. The first two are are examples of Felix, his milk cheeks and one wonky eyebrow. And the second is a picture that Miles took of himself. It makes me crack up. I fall more and more in love with these boys. Updated March pictures here. 
From Beginning of March 2010
From Beginning of March 2010
From Beginning of March 2010

4 comments:

  1. How far things have come in a week. It wasn't even possible to find much humor in those first days, was it, and the night Felix swore off sleep was not amusing at all, but with a few more snatches of sleep, an appearance by the sun, lots of loving support, and a recovering Eric (out spreading grass seed this afternoon...), things seem much better. We all need to pray hard for good pathology results on Friday! I am so proud of all of you and love you all so much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay Team Heintz. You guys are pulling through this! Thanks for the updates and we are thinking of you as always! XO! C-F-S

    ReplyDelete
  3. Go Team Heintz, go! It certainly takes a village... and thank goodness for villages :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The waiting is the hardest part (isn't that a song?)! You find yourself obsessing about the worst news possible (is there anything worse than a cancer diagnosis?) at the worst possible times - middle of the night when all is dark, quiet and creepy. You are not alone (and I do not mean Felix), no matter what time of day it is Alison.
    I shouldn't even be saying this, but I will anyway, try to relax and enjoy the present - listen even harder to the laughter of your boys, watch them with a closer eye when they are at play, keep those happy memories in the front of your mind of the family time you have all spent together before AND after.

    Life is different now and probably always will be, but different isn't always bad, just different.

    Thinking and hoping for wonderful news on Friday.
    Love Sara

    PS To make you feel better, there are still thank you's that I haven't sent out - people get it...they do it b/c they want to.

    ReplyDelete