Monday, May 31, 2010

Roll-y Poll-y

From Felix Rolls...
We are now proud owners of a consistent roller. Take THAT torticollis! Both of our boys rolled in their wee premature days. (Yes, days. Can I get a witness, Mahna? It's not as big of a deal when you are throwing around 4 and 5lbs I guess.) We thought of calling Guiness Book of World Records with both boys because surely we had the most advanced preemies on the block, but the rolls were a tease. I am not sure if Miles ever rolled again...at least he didn't crawl until 11 months.

Felix is an overnight sensation. A rolling fiend. One day he he is fixed supine, the next day giving us Superman yoga moves with the best of 'em. You'll notice we are still sporting disposable diapers--meaning, we are still on antibiotics and have copious amounts of antibiotic smelling poop, which I don't want taking residence in his cloth diapers. I was feeling hopeful that the ear infection cleared this time, but recently Felix's sleep has deteriorated, his nose started running, and he's been spotted sneezing. Uh-oh. Fingers crossed for this weeks ear check. And darn Miles is feeling sympathy pains (at least that is what we tell ourselves to feel better), because he has been up ALL night for the past 3 nights for no other reason we can identify outside of feeling bad for Felix. Just wait until he has a pregnant wife. He'll be barfing in the toilet for 12 weeks (or 20 in my case).
From Felix Rolls...
From Felix Rolls...
From Felix Rolls...
From Felix Rolls...
From Felix Rolls...
From Felix Rolls...
From Felix Rolls...
Can someone please slow down time? Okay, so I am investigating the possibility of making a deal with days and nights. I figure we can maintain the space time continuum if we accelerate the hours of 12am-6am. Too many night wakings. And slow down a good 6 hour daytime chunk for me to enjoy my kids. I'm not ready for my baby(ies) to grow up!

And then my Peter Pan syndrome and desire for more children was exaggerated last night. Eric and I had a huge date last night, completely organized by him: hired 2 babysitters (brother and sister team from the family of the Director of the ELC--LOVE THEM!), gorged on Italian food thanks to a generous gift card from a Marist family, and saw the documentary Babies. I know--huge.date.night. It almost felt like a second honeymoon. We attempted to bribe the sitter into staying over night so we could sleep, or bringing her back for a day so we could take a nap. But she laughed. I don't think she knew we were serious (okay, only partly). I highly recommend the movie (trailer linked in the previous sentence). If there is anything that makes me want to have more babies, it's this movie. And I think I even mentioned this to Eric on the car ride home in between pumping and eating Dairy Queen. (Let's not talk about the tummy trouble I caused my own baby with the night's multiple dairy indulgences.) Note to self--don't compromise your driver's attention with platitudes like this-- "I think I want more children"--especially when trying balancing a hand pump and vanilla soft serve. We'll readdress the issue in a another year or so. Gives us time to win the lottery.

I think everyone would enjoy the 80 some odd minutes of adorable babies, but I really think those who have had babies will have a special appreciation. I watched my husband laugh, wriggle in delight and absolutely enjoy every single minute. I am not sure he would have enjoyed it to the same degree before Miles was born...so often we said, "that is totally Miles!" "Felix does that, too." What I learned is that there are such universals with babies--smiling, biting, dancing, laughing, nursing, tantrums, exploration, creativity...and that Mongolians make a mean swaddle and tether...and Japanese babies can throw some serious tantrums...and that I am looking into finding someone from Namibia to serve as my lactation consultant...and that the American family was by far the least interesting and most "contrived."

Don't get me wrong, I love our country, and am not ready to let my 7 month old climb unassisted on a rusty oil drum with his tiddly bits scraping on the side in the (beautiful) plains of Mongolia, or gnaw on discarded broken bone shards of some unidentified bush animal ...but seeing babies explore the world without so many of the creature comforts that we insist upon in our country (and in Japan! They love them some Bumbos and Maclaren strollers) makes me want to scale back...enjoy the moments...and RELAX.

Too many parenting books, too many toys, too much competitive parenting. And in my perfectly imperfect way, I know I get seduced by a lot of it.

Here's to letting babies be babies.

7 comments:

  1. Yes, I can attest to the preemie-taunt-you-into-thinking-they're-amazing-roll-ers early performance. It's fun to see Felix doing his new thing (with Miles and Dad-dee in the background). You can see his grin widen with his accomplishment, and haven't we all felt like spitting up when we roll onto our tummies with that tummy full of milk!
    I am sorry that the boys are not sleeping well for now. That should bring you back to reality after being tempted by "Babies". I can't wait to see it! I love the goat sipping on the baby bath water! Oh, and the two little guys engaged in a tussle resulting in biting - universal indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. And it occurs to me that Felix's hair do is like Conan O'Brien's with that spring-y front tuft!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want to see Babies! It looks so melt your heart. The puke was an AWESOME grand finale to the video.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the video of Felix's acrobatics - roll, baby, roll! It's great to see the kids doing well.
    Thanks for the reminder to go see "Babies" because I've been meaning to do that and forgot. We do get caught up in way too much stuff here. Nice to have a chance to grab some perspective. Wonderful post - thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. felix is adorable. i love when the start rolling...it's so sweet :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. you are a fantastic photographer! I have to learn how to get such great shots! Felix looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. We do compete too much as parents and in turn put too much pressure on our kids to do more/better/faster/....What about being happy they are healthy, b/c in all actuality, that is what we all need/want the most from/for our kids - health!

    Happy 2nd bday Miles - I remember the days of toddler exploration. I also remember looking at my watch too much. I would give almost anything to have those lazy afternoons back...take those deep breaths and enjoy every moment of it. Life is way to short and our kids grow up way too fast. Before you know it, your premie kids will be 11 and taller than you - now that is SAD!

    Thinking of you all (even if I forget to check on you)!
    Love Sara

    ReplyDelete