Thursday, April 21, 2011

Egg-stravaganza

2011--the first year we dyed Easter Eggs! I had intentions of going all organic and natural and stewing cabbage leaves and onion peels and beets to dye the eggs naturally...but the whole being up until 1am and then getting up at 5:30am (see previous post) had me on a path to least resistance all day--especially since I had an entire day of remote work to complete.
In the late afternoon, we decided to get out the traditional Paas egg coloring kit my mom picked up...but then I remembered a blog post I saw the day before: tie-dyed eggs! You take old, outdated silk ties, deconstruct them, and use them to "dye" eggs by boiling the fabric colored eggs in water and vinegar. And the silk can be used for multiple years. I mean, that's pretty eco-friendly if you ask me!

So, I shimmied up to my Dad's closet, and picked out his finest 1980's ties. Unfortunately, the man who has never purchased a piece of clothing for himself decided to have an opinion about something clothing related for the first time, and requested that a few of the ties make their way back to his closet. Are you serious? And they just happened to be some of the worst offenders (and ties I have NEVER seen him wear). And yes. My Dad is retired and could quite possibly be reading this. Dad--you've got some really ugly ties--and some nice ones, but let your daughter command the fashion police post. 40+ years as an engineer is not going to get you any honorary fashion degree.

The silk tie egg process was easy and fun. And I think the eggs turned out really neat! In fact, so did the PAAS ones. The boys had a great time. And I have to say--these eggs turned out better than most I ever did growing up!

Easter Egg Dying: 2011. A pictorial retrospective

First you take silk tie fabric, and wrap around a hard boiled egg

Then you wrap it up using the inner stuffing of the tie, and put it into an old sock, or wrap it in a piece of an old t-shirt.


Boil for 20 minutes in water and 3 T of vinegar--then cool down. Then just open up!


PAAS dying was fun, too, thanks to crayons, rubber bands, and dipping in multiple colors.


No. It's not a bubble wand, Felix!


Pretty, no?


Easter Egg hunt tomorrow!

2 comments:

  1. Those are the coolest eggs ever. Great idea! Happy Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was so much fun. We used the old Nursery School bunny losing his tail ploy to good effect, and those boys were "crack" egg hunters!

    ReplyDelete