Thursday, October 13, 2011

RAK: October 2011

Nothing says RAK like a delivery of fresh flowers from a far away friend thinking of our family during some recent turbulence.






It's October! Another month for a RAK. Remember that disjointed post from last month?

This month I turned my sites toward someone who I knew would not be expecting anything from me, save a "poke" or a "like." (Really, does anyone actually "poke?" I just imagine a red hot metal rod lancing me in my side.) You know, a Facebook "friend" who I am probably only still in connection with thanks to Mark Elliot Zuckerberg. His code name is "JM."

JM is 1 year younger than I am, and we went to high school together. We both dabbled in the arts (whoah Nelly--you were artsy fartsy??? Yup. Let me first state that it wasn't studio art. Although, I somehow got the senior award for pottery II--a class I never took. But I LOVED singing and acting. There was a time I wanted to go to a conservatory for college. And then I realized I didn't want to live in squalor or sleep on the casting couch--total stereotyping! Really, I just wasn't *that* talented. My brothers and sisters-in-law upstaged me anyway. And besides, I needed to spend the next decade of my life being too afraid to go to medical school.)

Wasn't this about JM? How narcissistic of me!

Yes, JM. He's such a cutie. The kind of kid who wore a hemp necklace with beads embedded in it, played the guitar, and channeled the 70s vibe during the 90s grunge movement. Much like half of my high school, I am now friends with him on Facebook.

A few months ago I started realizing that every single morning I would specifically look out for one of his posts.

You see, every single morning JM posts some sort of inspirational quote or message. Sometimes it is as simple as "Good morning beautiful people! Enjoy the day!" And sometimes it is a quote from the "Lama." I found myself sort of ritualistically looking for it right before I got out of my car and walked into work. It was like a little extra push to get me to face what has unfortunately become a toxic office environment. (All 15.5 people left)

I also noticed that he posted a lot about his running. It appeared he was training for something, but I didnt' know what.

Insert: LIGHT BULB!

I decided that for October, I was going to contact JM, totally out of the blue, thank him for his daily inspirations, and then offer him a free training plan for whatever race he wanted, courtesy of High Miles Running's famous Coach Heintz. (Good thing I'm married to the guy and could get him to donate his services without much more than a promise of a hamstring massage.)

So, I did it. Pulled the Facebook stalker move, looked at his info page, got his GMail, and contacted JM. I explained in what I am sure was a mess of a message that for no other reason than him giving me a smile and motivation every day, I wanted to do something nice in return.

And he wrote back--shocked, but also delighted! Unfortunately, he's sidelined right now with shin splints, but will get his plan once he heals some more.

So far I am 2 for 2. I have at least 2 more months to fulfill. But at this rate, I think I might try to keep it going. 52 weeks of mail and 12 months of RAKs. Us type A's need long-term homework.


Still strategizing for November...I have the "who," just thinking of the "what."

"Cliff Hanger...hanging from a Cliff...and that's why they call him Cliff Hanger!"

If you can tell me where that quote/song is from, I'll first confirm you have children, because if you don't, I know this will make no sense. Next, I'll ensure that you are a recipient of either a RAK or 52 weeks of mail. I know--just call me Oprah. First it's a hand written letter, next I'll be giving away electric cars.

No comments:

Post a Comment