Sunday, January 8, 2012

Dumplings

After today's events (see previous post), you might question my sanity when you see that I kept the boys naked and used them as my sous chefs for tonight's dinner: chicken and dumpling soup. Even more so if you knew that Felix pooped on the floor and woke up from his nap after 55 minutes because he ripped off his diaper and peed all over the crib. (Have I mentioned how fun it is having 2 toddler boys?)

First, I consider this picture payback for the shenanigans they put me through this morning. This photo WILL make an appearance on a slide show for both their weddings. Second, we really did have a lot of fun making soup that they inevitably didn't even take a bit of.

(That's a snake dumpling above, which you will be glad to know did not make it into the pot.)

I LOOOVE this soup. It is an adjusted recipe from a vegetarian version I found a few years back on the blog fresh365 (original version linked). I don't usually post recipes, but my bro asked for it on Facebook (had to post an obligatory soup photo I loved it so much), and thought I would share it here. As with all of my recipes, you don't have to do organic...we just try to do so for as much as we can. You know, especially because my boys eat SO much of my cooking.

Soup
4 T organic unsalted butter
1 large onion, chopped
6 T organic all-purpose flour
6 c organic chicken stock
1/2 c organic skim milk
2 t salt
1/2 t pepper
1 t fresh thyme, minced
2-3 c frozen Trader Joe's organic foursome blend -OR- 2 c celery, 1 c carrots, 1 c peas...but the frozen blend is so much easier (we also shave extra pieces of fresh organic carrot in because we like our beta carotene).
2 T minced fresh chives
1-2 c organic rotisserie chicken (you could cook your own, but this is the far easier option!)

Dumplings
2 c organic all-purpose flour
2 t baking powder
3/4 t salt
1/4 c minced fresh herb (I used chives, thyme and green onion...you could use sage, too)
2 T organic unsalted butter, melted
3/4 c organic skim milk

In a large skillet, heat butter over medium-high heat. Add onion, and sauté until onion begins to brown, about 8-10 minutes. Whisk in the flour, scraping any brown bits of the bottom of the pan. Add the stock, milk, salt, pepper, and thyme/chives. Bring to a boil, add veggies and chicken. Reduce heat, and simmer while making dumplings.

In a large bowl, stir together flour, baking powder, salt and herbs. Gently mix in melted butter and milk, until mixture just comes together (DO NOT over-mix or dumplings will be dense).
Drop dumpling batter into the simmering stew by little teaspoons. This recipe makes a LOT of dumplings, and they puff up, so make them small (my opinion...I like them about the size of a quarter.) Cover and simmer until dumplings are cooked through, about 15 minutes (DO NOT uncover while the dumplings are cooking, as steam will escape).

DEE-LISH!

4 comments:

  1. p.s. Ditto. is the fourth unique result when searching Trader Joe's Organic Foursome. That's at least four results before a page that explains what is actually in the foursome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yummy! They say allowing your children to cook with you will encourage them to eat those healthy meals... Perhaps one day! Anyway, it is a tasty soup and a hearty meal.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chicken and dumpling soup = heaven! Adam made it for me last time I was sick and it rocked my world. Yum!

    Cute sous chefs, btw :)

    ReplyDelete