Thursday, March 8, 2012

Alopecia

Scene:
Miles sitting on his parents' bed with a bath towel gingerly spread out to his side his mother placed, as she does every morning, to serve as a table cloth. The guilt of the fact that her sons have breakfast in bed--her bed--every week day morning has slowly peeled off of her soul. The path of least resistance is sometimes enjoyable and warranted...although oatmeal crusties on the sheets are never welcome.

Mom is quickly stepping into the shower of the master bathroom, which is really just a closet-sized area with the door removed, trying to avoid questions about her body by her almost 4 year old, when her naked dash is interrupted...

Miles: MOM! THERE'S A PIE-DER ON THE BED!! QUICK, COME GET IT! IT'S RUNNING AWAY!

Take note of the fact that Miles calls for Mom and not "Eric-nophobia;"  Mom is the delegated insect securer in these parts.

Mom: Oh Miles! That's just a wad of Mommy's hair all tangled up. It isn't a spider, silly!

Miles: Can you take it away? I don't like it.

It's amazing I'm not bald...

2 comments:

  1. Given your busy lives and hectic schedules, I think that early morning tradition is a lovely one. I'll bet the boys will think fondly of the breakfasts in bed all their lives. You must wonder if it's a relief or not that the spider with which you were to deal (as designated spider manager) was just a tangle of hair. I feel the same about the masses of gleaming white hairs I find everywhere in our house. I think it's just more noticable (that's spelled incorrectly) when you have longer hair. At least it wasn't a cock roach!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am cracking up - "I don't like it". he should come to our house - "pie-ders" all over our bathroom floor courtesy of maggie playing with all of my brushes.

    ReplyDelete