Tuesday, March 13, 2012

TUT...A Note From the Universe

Photo courtesy of National Geographic linked here.

So yeah.
I'm kind of a big deal now.
I kind of know the "universe."
And it kind of sends me personal e-mails every day.

Over the past few years I have tried to use a more general term to refer to the omnipotent/omniscient force that some may call, well, God, Allah, The Divine, Yahweh, etc. It's not a comment or rejection of organized religion (hey, my kids were just brought to Catholic Mass and enjoyed candles and some free doughnuts), it's just an attempt to be more inclusive of a concept that is so far beyond my comprehension and articulation. (As evidenced by Miles asking me what was behind the sky, and me not capable of putting a cogent answer together.)

Semantics.

Reminder: with this blog I try to remain apolitical (try), avoid discussions about my professional life (try and have failed a few times), and tend to shy away from discussions about religion. All are very important aspects of my life and how I define myself...
...but I'm working with 24 (point 3 repeating) followers, and don't want to lose any more if I'm going to become the next dooce, Barefoot Foodie, or Baby Rabies.
Mom! Don't bookmark any of these, especially Barefoot and Baby Rabies, as they may offend you. But wowsa, those women can write. Along with that gal from People I Want to Punch in the Throat.

24.33333 down, 8 million to go...(I've been at this for 6 years...that's 4 followers a year if my high level mathematicism--made up word--is accurate. Yeah, I figure the sponsors will flow in around 30 or so. That's why today I started referencing photos on the blog that are not of my own taking. That, or every time I read everyone else's blog, feel a slight twinge of guilt for not adhering to "blog code" more closely. But then I'm reminded my power readers are my best friends and Mom, and whoever those idiot SPAM comments are from, and feel a slight sense of security.)

Universe.
Right.
Stay on target, Ali.
 
Anyway, my friend JE sent me information on how you can get in on the whole "universe" thing.
I know...I sound like some wack-a-do spewing new age-y esoterically irrelevant nonsense.
It seems along the lines of The Secret cult I just spent 3 minutes reading about on wikipedia.
(If anyone wants to lend me the book, I would actually be interested...I've "believed" really, super-dee-duper hard for years that my bank account will grow, but so far, no luck. I guess I need to be let in on the secret.)

But I really do get an e-mail from the "universe" every day.
And it is personalized.

In fact, one of my favorite ones came this week:
 (JE, I bet this showed up in your inbox as well, just not with "Ali" all over it)

Ali, if you could take a daily pill that would profoundly speed-up the manifestation of all your dreams, would you take it without fail?


I thought so.


What if it was a big, ugly pill that took 5 minutes to dissolve on your tongue, and it tasted like medicine. Would you still do it?


Yes, all of your dreams...


Thought so.


But what if during those 5 minutes each day you couldn't watch TV, or talk with friends, or distract yourself in any way from your chore?


Wow, you must really want a fabulous amazing family, and all those other awesome life changes!


OK, what if you could skip the pill bit entirely, but instead you had to set aside 5 minutes a day to visualize, in a dark and quiet room, seeing your life unfold as if all your dreams were coming true, and for good measure you had to say or do something, each day, that implied the same?


No, you can't go back to the pill idea.


Yours,
The Universe

Thoughts become things... choose the good ones! ®



© www.tut.com ®


It works for me, Ali.

In full disclosure, I don't know a ton about Mike Dooley (the brains behind the movement/group/philosophy) and his background or history.
So I probably shouldn't be giving his daily e-mails from the universe a rousing endorsement since I'm not really an educated follower, and only know about this daily e-mail service.

The 24.3333 of you will forgive me, right?

But I can say that I love getting the e-mails every morning (early). And as corny as it is to have my name templated in there, it makes a small difference.

And many of the e-mail messages are laced with humor, which is a sure fire way to get me hooked. You cannot take the universe too seriously. It's just too, I dunno, overwhelming. And the truth is, the jokes are practically given to you with some of the things that make up "the infinite":
quark
Big Bang (yes, I believe in evolution...and God)
cosmic string
eccentricity
ejecta
faculea
janksy

What I've come to realize in life is that positive self-talk, faith in "the universe" (or whatever you want to call it), friends, family, honesty, humorous perspectives, daily affirmations, and trying to be more "present" can do a lot for one's emotional health.

I'm not trying to get all Stuart Smalley on y'all...

...or maybe I am.

“The reason why the universe is eternal is that it does not live for itself; it gives life to others as it transforms” -Lao Tzu

2 comments:

  1. It sounds a little like meditation - time to slow down and get outside oneself. You know that I strongly believe in positive self-talk, too. I don't believe that thinking oneself rich will work, but fostering a positive attitude sounds good to me! Thanks as always for warning about things to which I should not be exposed - "The Girl with the Dragon Tatoo" and all (Hunger Games as well?). I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh. And the photograph is gorgeous. I thought it was going to be a post about Miles's passion for space!

    ReplyDelete