Thursday, May 3, 2012

Try this on for size

I think Miles is going through an "experimentation" phase. First he assumed the role of Rambo, and now he is trying on the proverbial short skirt of a hormonal 15-year-old girl.

I'm not sure which is worse.

The other week, Miles got into the car and started chanting:

Shut up
Shut up
Shut up
Shut up

At first, I didn't think he was actually saying it; his speech can be a little hairy at times. But I was lucky enough to have a WITNESS (hi Mom!) in the car who heard it too. Under my breath I was all, Mom, do you think he is saying what I think he is saying? Her head bob was all, yup!

So, taking a lesson from the bubble wand gun incident, I took a step back and decided not to react off the cuff. I said very plainly:

Miles, what are you saying?

And he said it again:

Shut up

And then in my most "vanilla" and casual voice said,

Huh...well...what does that mean? Where did you hear it?

AHHH! Double barrelled question! Tsk Tsk. Have I learned nothing from my formal education?

Of course my first thought was--did he hear me say this?

I will admit to it. I say "shut up" around friends, but it's more like this:

Friend: Ali, I heard Justin Timberlake is coming to your house...and he's bringing sexy back!
Ali: Shut up! (sub-text: no way! Are you kidding? I hope you are not because that would actually be awesome. Tell me you are lying..no, tell me you are telling the truth.)

But Miles said,

They say it in ____ [insert movie].

It was a movie that was given as a gift, which is rated G bee tee dubs. And we happened to watch it over and over and over and over and over (did I say and over?) when Felix was frying his neural connections with the mad cow virus he had last week and was attached to my body for 3 days straight.

Funny, I "saw" that video about 7 times over a few days, but never remember them saying that phrase. I watched it again and determined:
  1. Yup, they say it.
  2. Junior Varsity Disney impersonator movies are not nearly as polished and kind of remind me of the "tough kids" in the 'hood.
My reaction?

Hmmm...well, that's actually not a polite thing to say.

And that was that.

Note to self: be more present.

2 comments:

  1. What movie?

    I'm kind of disgusted with Cars 2 (which of course the boys are obsessed with) for the language. And I'm not one to normally care too much about that. But come on, they're little! It's like the first Cars was fine. But it was a gateway drug to the language in Cars 2. Ugh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. First, kudos to you, Alison for handling it well (low key and inquiring) - I was witness. Second, I find the coarsening of our culture distressing. The ratings system is not an dependable guide for parents, and as you note, Alison, you have to be diligent. It's too easy to tune out the things the children are watching in our presence because it can be stultifying, and we assume the "G" rating means the content will fit our family values - not. The kicker is that children home in on the "naughty" words without having a clue! How do they know?! Anyway, it will not be the last time that happens, and you did a good job of dealing with it. Good luck in future!

    ReplyDelete