Friday, June 15, 2012

Chick-a-pea pea pea pea pea

Anyone else know the "chick-a-dee-dee-dee-dee" call? Anytime I cook with garbanzo beans, I romantically call to them with a "chick-a-pea-pea-pea-pea!" They like that.

Apparently they also like being baked and devoured by Felix and me.

I just came up with the great idea (read: I hunted Pinterest and found this recipe): bake chickpeas!

We've tried to reduce our canned food consumption, but now have a pantry full of organic beans. Problem is, a girl can only eat so many black beans and chickpeas by herself. No one else in my family likes beans very much.

I stumbled upon the whole baking garbanzos/chickpeas on Pinterest, and gave it a whirl. I am more of a salty snack person, so was glad to base my cooking off of this recipe

I made some adjustments after a few rounds of cooking. (And eating. Protein and fiber overload.)  Best part is that Felix likes them, too! Not thrilled that I tripled my BPA exposure over the last 2 weeks...but am guessing my colon is happy.

After a bit of experimentation, I realized that I needed to make adjustments to the above recipes in order to get them more palatable. I am going to try dry beans at some point, but I need to get through the gaseous stockpile I have in my pantry first...

  • Open and rinse garbanzo beans WELL. (Like, get all of those farty smelling bubbles off of the beans.)
  • Spread them out on a towel and pat dry.
  • Preheat your oven to 400.
  • Go read a trash magazine, take a shower, or catch up on the Bachelorette. Basically, wait about an hour until they are dry.
  • Put beans on parchment paper and pop in the oven for 30 minutes without a thing on them. (This helps dry them out.)
  • After 30-40 minutes, take them out, sprinkle with shredded Parmesan cheese, garlic powder, and minced garlic. OR, any kind of seasoning that sounds good to you. In terms of amounts, just go all Top Chef and guess. I like garlic breath, so I used quite a bit.
  • Bake for another 20 minutes, then turn off the oven, and let them sit for another 10 minutes in the oven.
  • Remove and sprinkle lightly with kosher salt. (optional)
 They aren't super dee duper crispy, but forgoing olive oil and salt (at least until they are done cooking) helps them to dry out. I don't love Parmesan cheese, but that's all I had on hand. My guess is the powder Parmesan cheese works better, but that rarely enters my house. (Stinky beans, sure...stinky cheese? Nope.)

They don't store well, which to me translates into: you must eat them all in one day. Done and DONE.

And they are dry and do make you rather parched. (They'd probably pair well with a  nice summer ale...or on days your toddler has nervous diarrhea in a public pool, a few carafes of wine.)

1 comment:

  1. I am not a huge chick pea fan, but I would try them. It sounds good!

    ReplyDelete