Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Sweet Dreams

I was sure Miles was going to be my nightmare kid; his imagination is rich. Quite a long time ago I made a passing comment to friend, Mama S, that I was preparing myself for years of middle of the night imaginary fire balls falling from the sky with Miles because he had such a ripe imagination at such an early age. She (someone who is trained in early childhood development), calmed my nerves and told me that imagination is less of a predictor for nightmares than restless sleeping.

Phew! Miles is pretty "still" sleeper. So far, we haven't had any bad dreams.

But remember that kid who did trapeze stunts off of his umbilical cord?

Yeah...I think he has nightmares.

Miles was a challenge to get to sleep as a baby, but has honestly turned out to be a predictable and good sleeper. Sure, he gets up between 6 and 6:30am, but he still can take an almost 3 hour nap and doesn't give us too much trouble with sleep.

Felix was a better infant sleeper, and then turned into what can lovingly be described as a, well, a $hitty sleeper. He tosses, and turns, and moans, and whines, escapes, silly screams, and is anything but predictable...

...and apparently has nightmares.

Scene: 3am, and Felix starts bawling. I go in and try to unravel the mess of tears, screams, and thrashing. I use my super-dee-duper Mommy decoding skills and realize he is saying, "I WANT A LOLLIPOP!" over, and over, and over.

Whaaaa? Lollipop? First, I cannot stand the toddler entitlement tone. It drives me bananas. And both my boys know I will never respond to threats or demands from those under the age of 5. (And until they can reach the knife rack, I'm sticking to that.) Second, who wants a lollipop at 3am? Third, I swear to Yahweh that if he wakes Miles up (yup, they share a room now!), I am going to go postal.

I pick the him up, and then bring him in the hallway and just rock him in my arms while walking up and down the hall. (It's the universe getting me to exercise more regularly again. We are just having trouble with the timing.)

He is sort of falling in and out of sleep, but still hanging on to this whole lollipop demand. Finally, I go back into his room, plop him on his bed, and he is OUT.

Sweet dreams, eh?

Scene: 6am and Felix starts moaning again. I nudge Eric to respond this time, and I hear him look for Felix in his room and he is GONE. Eric finds Felix down the hallway curled up next to a vacuum, pining for his mother. He brings him into our bed where Felix proceeds to thrash around, Ninja Warrior style on me.

Sooo...anyone got any secret salve I can slather on him to prevent these nighttime episodes? Preferably phthalate-free, no parabans, and organic. I'll pay a premium.

1 comment:

  1. No advice here -- we haven't hit that point yet. BUT, I can attest that I WAS that child. Not so much with the being a $hitty sleeper, but YES with the crazy night terrors and sleepwalking (I would often be found in the kitchen -- beware of sleep eating!). My poor mother.

    I can tell you this. These weird sleep issues still rear their ugly heads once in awhile (the first night I ever "spent" with my now-husband, I woke up screamy bloody murder that there was a snake in the bed), but they are very few and far between. And if Felix is lucky enough to have an understanding partner with a good sense of humor, they can even be a source of jokes for years to come.

    My condolences to you until he is no longer sleeping under your roof.

    In all seriousness, though, I think they often happen in periods of mental stress or when the brain is working through some sort of issue, so they may subside soon and come back later. At least in my experience, they are not an "every night" kind of event.

    ReplyDelete