Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Vacation 2012: Book Worm

Concluding the Vacation 2012 blog reel (I know, it's about time), is a gift to you: Summer 2012 Must Read List, courtesy of a handful of my Facebook friends.

As for myself, I polished off 2.9 (repeating) books. (Note: all book photos below are linked to Amazon--because admit it--we all judge a book by its cover. And Amazon has good prices and free shipping for Prime members.) I am currently in a race against time to finish Gone Girl before book club (is it too early on page 100 to already have a guess about what happened?). So far, it's pretty good, but I think it is more of a slow burn than a page turner at a quarter of the way through.

Although I am not a convert, I did find my Kindle app on my phone to be extremely useful for under the covers late night readings while I bunked for 2 weeks with a small child on my floor. But after 2 weeks of phone reading, I got intimidated when I picked up all 400+ pages of Gone Girl and sort of wished I had it on an app. I just need to remember to rotate the book from arm to arm lest I get uneven biceps.

I wish I could say that I have a lot of time to do reading for pleasure. I don't. I admittedly unsubscribed from goodreads because it was too much work to keep up (and I might have been embarrassed at how little I read in comparison to my friends). And I am certainly not in the business of writing reviews (nor am I in the business of writing blogs), but here is a ha'penny about the books I read:
I love a good anxiety-ridden author who writes about her anxiety-ridden life. I am sure you'll walk away from this book thinking 1 of 2 things (or both): 1. "okay, my life isn't that nuts", and "could she use the 'eff' word anymore?" I laughed out loud and thanked my lucky stars that I don't have social anxiety or an interest in taxidermy, but the book was front-loaded and felt a little forced toward the end. Her blog is better in my opinion. But she's making bank on the book. I, on the other hand, am not.
Another entertaining autobiography. Rachel's writing sat with me far better than Jenny's. Rachel comes off as pretty"smaht", and even though I am not part of any SNL fan cult, I found the bits about her comedy history incredibly interesting. I also read this bad boy (huh, probably more like bad girl) completely under the covers all in one night.
 

Captivating! But not sure if my public healthiness is a bias in my appreciation and interest in the story. I am almost done with this book (hence the repeating reference above), but have the self-imposed pressures of book club on me right now.

But now, the real meat of this post. (It's long. Get ready to scroll.)

So, from my friends to you...Oh, I included their comments above each book image--unlike what I did, which was write my comments below each linked book image. I call this a brain teaser. Like brushing your teeth with your left hand. Unless you are left-handed. Or have no hands. Then I guess it would be like brushing your teeth with your non-dominant foot. Unless you're ambipedal. Then I hope that you are spending your time making money by exploiting your talents rather than reading this blog. The end.

TSG: Divergent

MW: Haven't finished it yet, but I'm reading Whatever It Takes: Geoffrey Canada's Quest to Change Harlem and America. It's really good, but isn't quite a vacation book. :) 

JM: Firefly Lane or Snow Flower and the Secret Fan

AS: The Sense of an Ending by Julian Barnes or We Need To Talk About Kevin by Lionel Shriver both led to great discussions in my book club


MH: Sense of an Ending a quick read too. Starting a The Tigers Wife. Also enjoyed Maine by Sullivan.


RS: Habibi by Craig Thompson. 



HK:  Shadow of Night by Deborah Harkness. It's the second in a trilogy though, so you'll need to read the first book, A Discovery of Witches. Fair warning: both are long books but they will totally suck you in! The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks is a really interesting true story. A lot of public health/medical history and ethical issues.


SN: Room was REALLY good



KD: Here are a few: The Help; Water for Elephants; lark and termite; the thoughtful dresser






MM: 11/22/63 by Stephen King

 SR: Cutting for Stone

KL: The School of Essential Ingredients, by Erica Bauermeister. The Book of Fred.


SS: Bloom by Kelle Hampton


JA: Milk Bar. Momofuku (it's a cookbook)

AM: 19 Minutes. Halfway through it now and I hate putting it down when its time for bed


JW: Rules of Civility is one of the best books I have read in a long time.


NT: The Paris Wife! :)


KP:  Just finished A Visit from the Goon Squad by Jennifer Egan. Awesome.

1 comment:

  1. These all make me wish I could read faster and/or not fall asleep within paragraphs no matter how interesting the book. I am currently enjoying "Girls Like Us" a triple biography of Carole King, Carly Simon and Joni Mitchell with an intimidating 527 pages of text. I love reading!
    I have also found some great new (to me) children's books that I've tucked away for Christmas.

    ReplyDelete