Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Monkey Friends


Nom, nom...no?
 
Go. Here. And find the origins (and photo source) of this scrumdiddly recipe on peas and thank you.
 
I used to scoff at Sandra Lee's semi-homemade empire...and her obnoxious cleavage and costume choices for her Halloween episodes on the Food Network. 
"Keep it sweet, keep it simple, keep it semi-homemade." 
(Um, I'm pretty sure she is talking about her boobies, too.)
 
Now I am looking for a good version of an IKEA hackers blog for Trader Joe's. Currently, I follow What's Good at Trader Joe's, but I need a site that gives me recipes to make with all that TJ goodness.
 
Until then, I'll get gitty whenever I stumble upon a recipe that is semi-homemade, Trader Joe's style.
Like the one above.
I've been using Trader Joe's pizza dough for our bi-weekly (if not weekly) cheesy bread nights. I just roll it out (after resting out of the fridge for 30 min or so), sprinkle a garlic butter shmear on it, then some cheese and Italian seasoning, and pop in the oven. Okay, there may be something about preheating the oven, and directions on how to make the shmear, but then it starts sounding like a real recipe, and that's awarding me too much talent.
 
But if you have more of a sweet tooth, I highly suggest the "healthier" version of monkey bread linked above. To be fair to legit bloggers, I am making you go to recipe source blog.
 
Miles and Felix call the dish "Monkey friends." Primarily because when we are placing the dough balls in the pie plate, we pretend each ball is one of our friends during circle time. We sing them songs, tell them about calendar time, the weather forecast...it's like talking to plants...it makes the dough feel better (and I heard eliminates calories from the end product).
 
I highly recommend going to TJ's (or if you are supermom, making your own dough), securing some whole wheat pizza dough, and making some monkey friends.
 
Ooo Ooo Eee Eee Ahh Ahh
 
(that's monk-ese for delish!)

3 comments:

  1. I just looked it up, and the blogger is delightful to read. She has your wicked sense of humor.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We got the dough and applesauce, and I can't wait to try it.

    ReplyDelete