Thursday, December 20, 2012

A Mensa Christmas

Ready for a fun holiday test?

Okay, so this isn't a Mensa certified test, but I have Mensa on my mind...and Christmas. Eric keeps toying around with taking the Mensa test because, well, I have no idea except that I think it is a nice follow-up to his stint with Jeopardy. I told him I would support the venture, as long as no magic cards were involved.

I had a great work holiday party this week. Full of games, trivia, dirty Santa, and food. Let me just say that I was first loser (2nd place) in all 3 games.

  1. It was between my drawing and another drawing for our timed "draw a Santa picture with your non-dominant hand". But I chalk that up to artistic subjectivity.
  2. I used my mad math skills to guess how many chocolates were in a mason jar. Clearly I calculated length x width x height. Well, so did a another coworker, and then she upped her number by 1. So her 126 beat my 125 (there were actually 139 in the jar). First loser; again.
  3. I got 11 (of course) out of the 20 "Guess the Christmas Carol" timed trivia, but someone was able to bang out 14 in 3 minutes.
Because the holidays are about expanding our waistlines and minds, I present to you "Guess the Christmas Carol". Give yourself 3 minutes (your iPhone's clock has a nice timer) to see if you can decode the following. Answers will be provided soon. Post your guesses in the comments below.

Winner gets a prize. Maybe.

1. Bleached Yule: White Christmas
2. Cold male with prosthetic eyes: Frosty The Snowman
3. Singular yearning for the twin anterior incisors: All I Want for Christmas is my 2 Front Teeth
4. Righteous darkness: Holy Night
5. Arrival time 2400 hrs - weather cloudless: It Came Upon A Midnight Clear
6. Loyal followers advance: Oh Come All Ye Faithful
7. Far off in a feeder: Away in a Manger
8. Array the corridor: Deck The Halls
9. Bantam male percussionist: Little Drummer Boy
10. Monarchical triad: We Three Kings
11. Nocturnal noiselessness: Silent Night
12. Primary color festival celebration the savior's birth: Blue Christmas
13. Red man en route to borough: Santa Claus is Coming to Town
14. Frozen precipitation commence: Let it Snow
15. Proceed and enlighten on the pinnacle: Go Tell it On the Mountain
16. Laughing stock of the playground: Rudolph...
17. Query regarding identity of descendant: What Child is This?
18. Delight for this planet: Joy to the World
19. Give attention to the melodious celestial beings: Hark! The Herald Angels Sing
20. The dozen festive 24 hour intervals: The 12 Days of Christmas

And...GO!

3 comments:

  1. I am hopeless. Does it count that I can get myself through a day and accomplish most of what's on my agenda????

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well. I actually got most of them. I am not mensa, but I did give birth to three amazingly intelligent people. Does that count???

    ReplyDelete
  3. I came up with 11 and will now "cheat" to figure out the rest! Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete