Friday, December 14, 2012

Hugs for Sale

Due to the gravity of the recent events in CT, I have unscheduled my woe is my suffering pregnant body post, and will reschedule at a later date.

In it's place, I want to share the following moment of today:

I drop Miles off every Friday from his PreK program to his old childcare facility, where Felix still goes. 
I usually do a drop and run because Miles puts up a stink and fusses that he doesn't want to be there and wants to stay with me. 
I mean, I don't blame him; I can be fun at times.

Today, unlike any other Friday, I saw Eric playing with all of the kids on the playground. His schedule this year does not allow him to go down to the center and spend as much time at lunch with the kids as he has in years past, but today he got a sliver of time to join the wild rumpus. 

I was glad Eric was there to soften the transition and quell the weekly tears. I got to steal a midday kiss from my husband, and spent a few extra minutes enjoying all of the kids. 

As I put Miles into the play space, I called Felix over to give him a hug before I went back to work. 
Immediately after giving both Miles and Felix a goodbye hug, one of their friends came over to me and asked for a hug. 
So I gave him a hug. 
Then another friend came over and asked for a hug, too. 
And I gave him a hug. 

In all my years at this center, this is the first time I have been asked by the other kids for a hug. 
As I walked back to my car, I thought how cute it was that I just got hugged by a brood of boys.

And then I wondered what their parents would think if they walked by and saw me hugging on all of their kids.

I got in my car, put it in reverse, turned on NPR and heard about the shootings in Connecticut.

Choking back tears, I realized that the parents wouldn't care. 
They wouldn't care in the least.

 



4 comments:

  1. Well said, Alison. The more hugs the better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you were right where you needed to be. Hugging those kids when their parents couldn't....you just didn't know it at the time.

    ReplyDelete