Tuesday, July 2, 2013

"It happens every time, they all become blueberries." Willy Wonka

Who needs words when an appropriately filtered iPhone photo on Instagram does the job?

 It's called Blueberry Buckle.
And it's divine.
And it's a recipe that comes from may late Grandmother Lila. (I still cannot get over using the word "late").
And it's a result of driving over an hour to pick strawberries at Lone Oak Farm, only to find out they were out of them, and we had to settle for blueberries.
Darn.
One gallon of brain food and $12 later...
As the "farmer" said (I use the term lightly. I know what a farmer is, and this guy had plaid shorts on, was talking on his cell phone, and using a 4 wheeler. Talk to my late Grandpop Paul. He'll tell you about farmers), "nothin' but sunlight, rain, and God growing them here berries."
We have been gorging on blueberries. And our GI systems have experienced shock.
Every day I have the same breakfast: TJ's complete oatmeal with a tablespoon of PB2 and a tablespoon of chia seed. The past week, I've added a generous helping of blueberries and it's out of this world.
Every day I also convince myself I need a second breakfast and have a square of Blueberry Buckle. Because MyFitnessPal app doesn't have the recipe for blueberry buckle already keyed in, it just doesn't get added. My reasoning: if it isn't in the library of foods on the app, the calories don't count.
And once you see this recipe, you'll see why this is the best reasoning for all involved.

Try it.
And really do separate the eggs.
And sift the flour.
And add a little "hasenfeffer" for Lila and Paul (inside Deysher joke).
Fahrvergn├╝gen works well, too.

If you try this, leave me a comment and let me know how it is! (BTW, you can use any assortment of berries).

2 /14 C all-purpose flour
1 1/2 t baking powder
2 eggs, separated
1 1/2 C sugar
3/4 C butter
3/4 C milk
1 1/2 t lemon juice
2 C floured blueberries

Topping:
1/2 C sugar
1/2 C flour
1 t cinnamon
(Cut together and sprinkle on the batter before baking)

Preheat oven to 350. Grease a 9x11 dish (we use a slightly smaller one). Separate eggs. Beat egg whites until stiff and set aside. Cream butter, sugar and egg yolks. Sift flour and baking powder. Alternate adding dry ingredients with milk to the butter/sugar/egg mixture. Fold in egg whites, lemon juice, and then blueberries. Sprinkle the topping over the entire mixture. Bake in oven for 35-45 minutes (ovens vary, and if you use a smaller dish, cooking time will be more) until toothpick comes out clean.

Dee-vine.

I remember his burlesque pretense that morning of an inextinguishable grief when I wonder that I had never eaten blueberry cake before, and how he kept returning to the pathos of the fact that there should be a region of the earth where blueberry cake was unknown. William Dean Howells (1894)

2 comments:

  1. is this different than Lila's Triple Berry Bake?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful berry images, and the cake looks great. Today is Grandma's birthday, you know. I agree about the assessment of the "farmer"!

    ReplyDelete