Monday, October 14, 2013

Hernia Hero

Remember back in the olden days when I mentioned Felix having surgery? So, yeah...that's what has kept me from blogging.

Total lie. It's truly the fact that I run a circus nowadays. A bona fide circus with side shows and bearded ladies--thanks hormones--and 3 year old's with freakish growths in their nether regions. Three ring circus, baby, three ring.

Side shows aside, Felix's surgery was weighing heavily on my mind and just getting him to the OR proved to be a many week long process:
  • First he got a fever the day of his first surgery date.
  • Then September was stacked with Jewish holidays and our surgeon's schedule had to be adjusted. (By adjusted, I mean he didn't do as many. I giggled because one of my friends thought perhaps the Jewish holidays brought a lot of circumcision surgeries, and that is why we couldn't get on the schedule. There has to be a great joke that goes along with this that starts: a jewish surgeon walked into a bar...)
  • And then...no joke...said surgeon broke his finger. Like, not a toe, or a leg, or his nose...but the very thing he relies on to perform surgery. Note to self--do not make a joke with your child's surgeon about breaking a finger. He won't laugh. Surgeons don't laugh, apparently.
So surgery kept getting delayed. And Felix's hernia and hydrocele kept getting bigger. Finally, it was snippity do da day, and we were able to pull out his custom cape made by Neverland Nook. (She was so thoughtful and made a matching mask! She also made Miles's cape for his Halloween Costume last year.)



THIS, my friends, is how to walk into a pediatric surgery center:



And THIS is how you take a picture of the picture I just posted:



I'll skip the details, but surgery went well. (Okay, I am not going to skip the part when he came back after they were done and was all "oh, it was a lot bigger than we expected. More vascular and I had to leave in a part of it because I didn't want to mess around with his testicle...yadda yadda." And I was all "NO KIDDING IT'S BIGGER! We've been waiting weeks while he's been dancing and jumping fluid into his scrotum." Note--that last bit was my internal monologue. After the broken finger sling joke crashed, I figured I should keep my mouth shut.)

Everyone was amazing (Children's Healthcare of Atlanta woop woop), and Felix made a name for himself wearing that cape and mask all the way into the OR, where I took it off and wore that sucker out like a proud Mama would.
waiting patiently in pre-op
I will say that the moment I dreaded, was just as heartbreaking as I expected. Even though we told him the anesthesia mask was a Buzz Lightyear mask, putting your child down on a table and watching him go under is never easy. He didn't fuss, didn't resist, but just peacefully (with eyes I am convinced I heard screaming "MOMMY I'M SCARED"), rested his head on the table and let them put him to sleep. I cried back in the post-op area. Yeah, even super hero moms cry.

He woke up grumpy, and pissed about two things:

  1. He obviously saw the Buzz Lightyear anesthesia mask but kept asking..."so where is the COSTUME?"
  2. He got a caudal block (like and epidural) and woke up to having non functional legs and kept moaning, "I don't like this! I can't move my legs!"
Luckily, he was mobile enough to put on a new spiderman costume he got from a friend, and spent the day eating gummy worms, watching the same Cars DVD on repeat, and generally acting like nothing ever happened.


That night, Eric drove to NC for a very important cross country meet, so I handled the middle of the night shenanigans all by myself. Of course, every blessed hour a child was up. Between Miles's bad dreams, Felix peeing in his bed and panicking, and Gus wanting to play on the mammary jungle, I was a ragged, impatient mess the next morning.

Until Felix asked for one thing and one thing only...to hold his baby brother.

Okay, and then he asked to wear a costume...but at least he has his priorities straight.


3 comments:

  1. Glad things went well! I love all of the photos of your beautiful boys!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Even having reviewed this account before, I cried at your description of Felix's surgery and the day afterward.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I am so happy everything went well and his cape made him feel extra super {and you too}! You are such a good writer and I couldn't help but to cry with the whole "buzz light year" mask and all. Your kiddos are too cute! :)

    ReplyDelete