Sunday, January 5, 2014

Team Heintz 2014: Week 1 of 52

I don't do NYE resolutions...well.

And I will let you read that sentence however you want, because either way you interpret the "well", it rings true. 

This year, I have similar goals as last year (outside of having a full term baby--check!), but know that making resolute promises that I will end up falling short of does nothing for one of my lifelong goals--reducing anxiety and pressure on myself.

So, sure. I have lifestyle modifications I want to try and maintain. Let's call them junior varsity resolutions.

  • Some may give up candy. I will try only eating chocolate that is organic or fair trade.
  • Some may give up ice cream. I will try only eating Ben and Jerry's ice cream.
  • Some may give up sugar completely. While it may seem in stark opposition to the first 2 bullets, I am going to try to reduce my overall sugar consumption.
See? I'm just setting myself up for success. With slightly fewer sweets, which will unfortunately be far more expensive.

Something I have wanted to do for a long time has been to use my SLR camera more often. With the integration of an iPhone in my life, I've resorted to taking 90% of my pictures with easily accessible device. I have also had Lightroom 4 sitting in a pretty box in my cabinets for almost 2 years. So folks, it's time to get them both out and start experimenting. 

And I have no intentions of becoming a true photographer. I just want to continue to have documentation of the boys as they grow so quickly. (Um, can I just say that Felix turned 4 yesterday? Oh, you missed the post? That's because I'm still in denial and never wrote one.) I also have no intentions of editing photos so much that they lose the essence of the original image. I would just like to figure out how better to adjust lighting and enhance photos. No need to edit out limbs 'n stuff. 

I love how so many people are doing 365 photos of their families and children. But did you *see* my previous bullets? I have to start off slowly before I can try out for varsity. That, and after it took me an hour to figure out how to even get a photo INTO Lightroom, it took me another 2 hours to figure out how to even do a darn thing. So right now, I am pretty adept at sliding the exposure bar around. Yeah, that's it. 

Let's not even get to exporting. I have no idea how to do it. So the fact that there are images below appears to be a miracle. 

For 2014, I am keeping my SLR out and ready to shoot. As the week starts, and the spirit moves me, I'll snap pictures of the boys and select 1 picture of each to go through Lightroom. And then I'll post here and let's hope by December 2014 not only will I have posted 52 times, but let's hope my images look better. 

Week 1/52

Bee-tee-dubs: I know there are 2 pictures of Gus, but I couldn't choose. 







1 comment:

  1. I love this goal and I already love the outcome. 52 gems would make a very nice little photo book of your year!

    Gus is so cute it hurts.

    ReplyDelete