Monday, February 10, 2014

Week 6 of 52: Lashes

Losing a camera's memory card throws a wrench in a 52 weeks of photography plan, huh?
Even better is when said card is found 2 days before you want to post and so you are restricted to 12 hours of time during which you hope to get some candid images of your children.
Best of all?
When you go to process in Lightroom and your trial period has expired. See, I have been putting off registering Lightroom (we have a teacher's edition, so I have to send in proof of Eric's profession), and it caught up with me.

Complicating things: Gus has joined the ranks of perpetual motion #1 (Miles) and perpetual motion #2 (Felix) and has been crawling for realz. Granted, his "go to" is the booty scoot, but brother is on his hands and knees and getting some knee burn to match the booty burn. I haven't quite mastered the action shot on my DSLR without it looking like a frantic moment at a London rave.
And recently, I haven't even touched my camera since my last 2 days have been spent without a free hand as I am met with the below reaction any time Gus is placed on the ground:

Did your heart just weep? Did you milking Mamas letdown? Because I sure did.

OH.MY.GUSNESS.

And if you know Gus, you know that's not a typical Gussy/Guster face. Both Miles and Felix absorbed every blessed fussy gene, so Gus has no option but to be perpetually happy. Unless he has an ear infection. (Speaking of genes, what long lost cousin has Eustachian tube anomalies? Because we have hit the jackpot in that department. I'd like to personally thank you with an invoice for all of our doctor co-pays. Our family tagline is, "lining pockets of ENTs since 2010.")

And let me just say that there is something so raw and inherently pathetic about Gus's crying. This picture makes me ache just looking at his little mug, until I notice the folded orange towel in the hallway. Huzzah! While it hadn't made it to it's appropriate home in the kitchen drawer, THERE'S A FOLDED PIECE OF LAUNDRY IN OUR HOUSE! Crack out the champs, kids. (And by kids, I mean someone of the 21 and older variety. And by champs I mean anything with a cork and bubbles. Alcohol optional.)

What, you don't think that's a miracle? It is when this is how your clean laundry exists many weekends:

And there is Felix--digging for gold. Sochi, I have a new event to add!

(BTW, in case you think my child will hate the fact I took pictures of him picking his nose. The rule is, you pick your nose, you have to go wash your hands immediately or Mom will take a photo of you and plans to put it in your high school senior yearbook along with all the photos we have of you with underwear on your head.)

So while waiting to fill a prescription for Gus's antibiotic this weekend, I let him take a car nap. Even thought Gus is the third child and has become an accessory to our already scheduled and busy lives, I have been pretty militant about car naps and avoiding them. But he had just had a huge ear violation at the weekend pediatric clinic, and was sleeping so peacefully in the car that I decided to hang out in the Walgreens parking lot with him while he snoozed. And because I figured my behavior ought to match my rag-tag appearance (baby bangs sticking straight up, breast milk stained shirt and sweatpants from the night before...it's a miracle I had a bra on), I jumped in the back and sat in Felix's booster seat to take pictures of Gus while he slept. I was waiting for a passerby to wonder who the vagrant was cramped into a Britax frontier taking pictures of a sleeping baby.

Because that's what all crazy moms do.

I also spent some time researching iPhone camera apps to see if I could take a good picture from my iPhone that would look good enough to work for my 52 week challenge. The truth is, I honestly think some of my best photos are from my iPhone. And I'm slightly in love with Instagram over other social media outlets. Here is my assessment, Facebook is the unhealthy marriage between Instagram and Twitter. I'm totally team Instagram (IG) because you can rely on other's cuteness to sustain. Twitter you have to be clever. And hope your fingers and phone's autocorrect aren't having a bad day. Sure, IG creates overly processed photos with highly artificial filters, but there is no ISO, f stopping required.

I found a new free app called VSCO cam and know some real photographers who use it on their phones, so gave it a whirl:

Not my DSLR, but I kind of like the simplicity and the fact it isn't too "Instagrammed." There are all sorts of photograph-er-y settings you can do like exposure and contrast and temperature. But who has time for that?
I posted sweet baby Gus to my IG feed and someone commented on his eyelashes. What struck me as funny is that of all the boys, his are probably least remarkable. And then what struck me was that I could go home and get 2 more pictures of Felix's and Miles's lashes and call week 6 of 52 done!

Tarte cosmetics? I have some eyelash models for you...(want to hook me up with some free Lights, Camera, Action tubes?)
Chances are, the way this week may go (Atlanta is gearing up for another winter storm, followed by a Zombie attack), I may not get time to register Lightroom. Or I may...and document the insane asylum my house transforms into after more than 3 days housebound.

1 comment:

  1. That is one heartbreaking photograph of Gus. I hope he's doing better by now. All the boys have great eye lashes (as do all of my kids), but I think Miles wins the prize for thickest and longest. I love Instagram as well. It makes my heart happy every day!

    ReplyDelete